ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Egypt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Egypt Reply with quote

I am a Canadian female looking into teaching positions in Egypt. I am hoping someone can provide me with personal feedback on being an expatriate living in Egypt, specifically being a female.
Thanks for any info you can provide me.
IWearHighWaters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt sounds interesting but must be hotter than a mother scratcher down there. Kinda dangerous to I imagine. I'd be interested to hear from others teaching there as well.

Fran
Chanci

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Pyramids we go.... Reply with quote

Hi Ladies

Well firstly, Cairo is a culture shock - thats the reality end of story. If u dont know anyone who speaks Arabic or if u dont speak Arabic u are going to find yourselves in a somewhat difficult situation. On the other hand u can try and set your boundaries, dont get stressed out (which will happen), dont drive unless you understand a circle is a square and you have witnessed and been subjected to the Cairo Kiss (thats just drive, hit the car in front and carry on) every vehicle has a few bumps, you can stay in the best area overlooking the Nile and ppl will still throw their trash on the stairs. Teaching is a challenge and only the strong survive. I taught in Cairo for three years, and Sharm El Sheik for 2. School terms are 9 months and u get 3 months holidays, I was lucky, I taught the King of Saudi Arabia's children for 3 full months in Cairo. Glad I tried, conquered but NO not for me. If you go with someone it will definately be much easier. By the way, I visited the Pyramids 8 times, not by choice - even the employees said to me "Ms, please u come only to the Pyramids?" Enjoy and if I can help in any other way let me know. Take Care.
Regards
Chantal
PS Hot is an understatement, imagine wearing 6 winter coats, boots and the sun beating down - now u have it!
walterharris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Teaching in Egypt Reply with quote

Hi! I am thinking about coming to Egypt to teach. Are there any teachers in Egypt who could pass some helpful advice on to me? Right now I am teaching in China.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: