ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non native English frustration
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: non-native speakers discrimination Reply with quote

But who said that the sole purpose of learning English is to understand British people? May be that is the case in Japan...

Here, the aim for students is to improve their language, so as to understand the locals, and be able to prepare for further study - reading and writing. Native speakers may have their British accents, but that doesn't help if they are unable to explain grammar rules, which is much more important in learning . As for bad habits - are you really saying that only non-natives may have them?...
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise some good points.

I should have stipulated a few things i suppose Smile

I assumed we were talking about native and non-native teachers which were both good. Having said that, grammar explanations would be on the same level.

Here people learn English to broaden the amount of people they can communicate with. I don't have a British accent actually, and I find it a little difficult to understand at times also, as such I do recommend for my students to expose themselves to other teachers, if not then at least some British movies.

Regarding bad habits, everyone has them. Linguistically, they do tend to happen more often in people who are speaking in a 2nd language, regardless of what it may be.
Should this non-native speaker happen to be a teacher, we would hope that he or she is without such bad habits.

But we are talking about discrimination in the ESL industry, in this regard the opinions of the teachers are worth nothing. It is what students, and indirectly employers, expect and prejudge that is important.

Assuming the cost is the same, and the ability to teach is the same, I know no student that would choose a non-native over a native.

If you were learning Japanese, for example, would you ever consider learning it from anyone other than a native Japanese speaker? Honestly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: