ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

not signing a contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
change2010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: not signing a contract Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and would really appreciate some advice.

Is it known for schools/training centres to telephone interview candidates, offer them the job via. email, and then tell the candidate to come to China on a tourist visa? which the school/training centre will then apply for working visa/residence permit?

Is it also known for the school/training centre to send a sample contract but tell the candidate that the contract will be signed once the candidate is in China?

I have had many email correspondances with this school/training centre and it "seems" ok but am still very worried.

Would really appreciate some feedback.

Thank you!
RoseV8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Not signing a contract Reply with quote

You are wise to be wary, this industry is out of control in China now. There are so many "schools" springing up the authorities can't keep pace with them. Many operate only by corruption, having friends in the right places who ensure the right permits etc. On the other hand many are great places to work.

Your contract should have a 1 month probation period, during this time you can opt out if you find you have been mislead regarding wages, conditions or anything else.You can also renegotiate terms and conditions if you wish to stay and the employer is agreeable.
Not only are you on probation they are too, a fact many teachers seem to overlook.

Regarding the apartment supposedly provided be aware you may have to find it yourself and put up the bond and as much as 6 months rent in advance depending on the landlord.You will then be reimbursed a months rent in each salary, Not all schools have their own properties, even though you may have been sent photographs of your apartment. These are often lifted from real estate web sites.Which part of China are you coming to?

It goes without saying be sure you bring or can access enough funds to cover this sort of expense. Once on the ground if the job doesn't work out you can extend your tourist visa and look for other work, there is plenty to be had.

Good luck,
Rose
katzas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Contract Reply with quote

I am new to China--two months. I teach English in, purportedly, one of the best schools in China. Here is what I know--and what I think.

First, it is never a good idea to come to China on an L visa (tourist) if you intend to work here. A reputable school will supply documents to you beforehand so that you can get your Z visa (work visa) processed through the Chinese embassy in your home country. Once you have this in hand, you can come to China and work here legally. Then, you have to have the Foreign Expert Bureau certify you as a teacher which leads to you getting your residency permit. Plan on at least three trips to the police station to get that. You have 30 days from the day you arrive in China to get that paperwork done. It can take all of that and then some.

Second, your apartment. You may have been shown pictures of a typical teacher's apartment--but probably NOT the one you will be offered when you get here. While we do not expect to have all the amenities we have back home, there are some pretty basic things that we need. Like hot water--all the time--like sufficient heating and cooling all the time--like a way to wash your clothes (don't expect to have a drier)--like a way to cook a meal......and we expect it to be clean and in good repair. If any of these things are not there, DO NOT ACCEPT THE APARTMENT. Don't buy the story that all will be made well soon.......chances are, it won't--or if it is, plan on it taking months. Stand your ground and just say no. You should not have to lay out any money up front for your apartment if your school is paying for it.

Third, teaching. Forget most of what you know about teaching English. It doesn't work here. The kids WILL NOT TELL YOU that they do not understand.
They will nod and smile as if they do--but if they don't they won't say. It is embarrassing for them to admit that they don't know in front of their classmates and you.

Fourth, money. You will be tempted to convert local prices for things back into your home currency in your head. For instance, if something costs 20 RMB and you come from the US--you will think--"Oh, that;s about three bucks--a steal". Don't do that. You are here working for RMB--and you will buy things using RMB. Unless you have a substantial amount of US dollars to spend here--you will quickly stop converting in your head. You are not a tourist spending US dollars here.

Fifth, Chinese moms. You may have heard about the dangers of getting between a mama bear and her cubs? Compared to a Chinese mom, a mama grizzly is a pussycat. Generally, mothers are in charge of the family finances and education. If her kid is not progressing fast enough--according to her standards--your boss is likely to get an earful. And remember, it all flows downhill with you at the bottom. Never mind that the mom doesn't have a clue about English--and never mind that her kid may not be the brightest bulb on the string--it's YOUR fault.

There is a lot more--but I have already gone beyond the scope of your question.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Contract Reply with quote

katzas wrote:
Fifth, Chinese moms. You may have heard about the dangers of getting between a mama bear and her cubs? Compared to a Chinese mom, a mama grizzly is a pussycat. Generally, mothers are in charge of the family finances and education. If her kid is not progressing fast enough--according to her standards--your boss is likely to get an earful. And remember, it all flows downhill with you at the bottom. Never mind that the mom doesn't have a clue about English--and never mind that her kid may not be the brightest bulb on the string--it's YOUR fault.

There is a lot more--but I have already gone beyond the scope of your question.

LOL! I had heard this from a few people but I can't imagine it ><
Is it the majority of moms like this or just the few loud ones that seem to be a majority but are not?
change2010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: not signing a contract Reply with quote

Dear both,

thank you very much for your thoughts and the thorough insight you give which I found to be very helpful.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: