ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for a great English grammar workbook?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Books...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for a great English grammar workbook? Reply with quote

Hello all,
My apologies to those of you who will have already read my plea in one of the other forums...

I am currently tutoring a 40-year old Japanese woman who has an advanced-beginner/intermediate level grasp of English, and would like to find a great English workbook to help her improve her grammar skills. Any suggestions?
Ideally I'd like to find one with plenty of ready-made exercises in it so I won't have to continue to scour the web!

Also, Aaron, you suggested that I check out Diane Larsen-Freeman's "platinum series, book 4", but so far I haven't been able to find it! Could you give me the exact title to that book? It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I did check out "The Grammar Book" a bit, which also looks very good. That might be an eBay buy though!

Thanks to all...
--Matt
marcolb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: I have used this one Reply with quote

English Grammar in Use (with answers and now CD Rom) by Raymond Murphy - Cambridge University Press -http://us.cambridge.org/titles/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521537622 is my favorite. It is on its third edition and I do recommend it. It is the only book I have totally felt comfortable with for many years now. I have been teaching ESL for over 25 years and this book always saved lots of time on class planning. I also use the basic level for beginners. Hope it works for you! Wink
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

And if anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

--Matt
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: ESL Grammar Workbooks Reply with quote

Quote:
[...] if anyone else has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Hello There ESL-Textbook Explorers (Matt, Marcolb, et. al.)!

Just a few cents to add to this discussion:

This semester, based on a trusted recommendation, I tried the following grammar book (also covers punctuation and style) which (don't laugh!) is designed for North American eight-graders. I'd like to report, though, that I had a tremendous success with it.

The funny thing is, the rules for English don't change depending on your age, and this friendly, unthreatening and very approachable guide to grammar worked well in my language writing class of twentysomethings. Plus, it was considerably cheap when compared to similar products (under $6.00 USD second-hand). The downside is that there are relatively few "exercises" if you are looking specifically for a workbook.

This is the info for that book (Note: I've hotlinked it): Embarassed

Elliott, Rebecca. Barron's Painless Grammar.

There's another one that I use specifically for the grammar exercises. I'll mention that one in a different post.

Let me know if you find this one useable (or, if you've tried it before).

Best,

Lee

http://www.esl-lesson-plan.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......and for British members - even cheaper.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/0812097815/all/026-2506409-1254012

Painless Grammar ~ Rebecca S. Elliott, Laurie Hamilton (Illustrator) --
Price: from 0.45 = $0.80

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Books... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: