ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some teaching experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgarrett396

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Some teaching experience Reply with quote

Hi, I have 2 years of experience as an English teacher. I lived in the Czech republic as a volunteer, and was given specific materials to work with. I basically taught lessons from a manual that I was given, and also came up with ideas to teach people English as a free service.
I don't have a college degree at this point, but I do have 2 years of experience at the local community college of general studies classes.
I am considering going to Oxford for the 60 hour course TEFL/TESOL certificate.
If I was able to get a certificate and everything worked I was thinking about going to South America to start.
Has anyone taught in South America? I don't know Spanish but I became very fluent in Czech after two years living there (read/write/speak.)
I have always heard that all teachers are very knowledgeable about the foreign languages where they teach. Is that a myth? Has anyone tried teaching without being really fluent in the language?
Thanks
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To actually teach you don't need to know the local language (unless it's English, of course). These days classes are taught almost entirely in the Target Language which means you introduce, explain and practice in English. Occasionally it can help to be able to translate into the local language, but this is by no means a necessity.

Of course if you're living overseas, it is helpful to understand the local language. Given that you picked up Czech quite easily I don’t see why you shouldn’t be able to do the same with a new language.

See this ICALwiki article for more on this.

As for your TESL/TEFL certification I would look at something more substantial than a 60hrs course. You can certainly do without the TP element – your 2 years experience more than cover that, and opt for a solid 100hrs online course.
wide eyed wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to take a course TEFL/TESOL course DON'T take anything less then 100 hours and DON'T take an online course. If you are going to take one you should take one that has 120hours instruction plus at least 6 hours of observed teaching practicum in front of actual language learners. Trust me! I took the Oxford seminar class and although it was good for a 60 hour class, 60 hours really isn't anything substantial and it lacked any in depth lesson planning.

CELTA and Trinity are the most well known programs out there and there are also lots of other great TESOL courses.

As for teaching in South America, you may want to check to see if you need a TESOL certificate, your two years of experience may just get you a job. Don't take my word for it, look into it more, Dave's ESL cafe, has forums with people who have lots of great advice on every topic.

As for speaking the native language of the country, it depends on what country you go to. For example in Asia you don't need to speak their language, and sometimes it's even frowned upon by parents if you speak their language to explain somethings. However for many countries in Western Europe it is a prerequisite that you speak the native language to at least an intermediate degree before you get the job. I don't think you need to speak the native language before you go to South America, but this may vary from country to country. Best way to find out is apply for jobs their and see what kind of requirements the schools are looking for.

Best of Luck! Very Happy
Markchase07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue teaching, taking a short term course will be advantage. Take proper coaching for the course and try to get a higher grade.

Mark Chase
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: