ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Good Is the CELTA Certificate for Asia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckdarkshadow123

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: How Good Is the CELTA Certificate for Asia? Reply with quote

Hello, I am new here so please excuse any mistakes.

I am thinking of going to one of the Asian countries to teach English. I have taught English for two years in Turkey before returning back to England.

On returning to England I have completed again, my GCSE or level 2 English literacy and then my maths level 2.

I then completed a 7303 course. pttlls it's a teaching course for teachers in England; the minimum you need for registering with the IFL (institute for learners)..

My question is simple. I am thinking of doing a CELTA course at Newcastle College, which is for 1 month and I want to know if it has any value in Asia?
Lexicon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will have more value in your ESL job search than the rest of your education. Primarily though a certificate is only as good as the teacher who backs it up.

A good resume, well executed cover letter, and the ability to effectively explain English grammar are far more important than anything else.

My Blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: BA Reply with quote

When I did my CELTA, I was required to have a BA or BS... In other words, have had completed a University degree before I could obtain a CELTA. You need to check this.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many jobs teaching English for big and small schools alike, with no official certification.

It ALL comes down to the interview in my opinion
markc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: BA Reply with quote

Nead wrote:
When I did my CELTA, I was required to have a BA or BS... In other words, have had completed a University degree before I could obtain a CELTA. You need to check this.

A degree is not a requirement to take the CELTA at most centers.
wide eyed wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How Good Is the CELTA Certificate for Asia? Reply with quote

ckdarkshadow123 wrote:

My question is simple. I am thinking of doing a CELTA course at Newcastle College, which is for 1 month and I want to know if it has any value in Asia?

You don't even need a CELTA certificate for most of Asia if you plan on being an ESL teacher. Your experience is more then enough to land you a job in Asia. So I suggest you save the money that you would have spent on the CELTA course and start looking for jobs. I taught in Korea for a year and I didn't have a certification or teaching experience neither did most of the people who went there

If you want to work in a public school in Taiwan you will need a teaching certification (a full-year program that allows you to teach in your home country)
markc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise that the OP has most likely long gone, but for anyone else interested, it is not necessary to have a CELTA in most of Asia. However, it can help, and if you end up staying a long time in TEFL, and if you wish to ever travel to other countries or parts of the world to teach, it becomes much more important.
astroboy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Alphabet soup redux XVII Reply with quote

I'm considering the TESL cert program out of Auburn University, USA. This name may, or may not, mean anything to an employer overseas. My take is no single program or certification is universally "better" than any other. In fact, opinion goes, any certificate is de minimis compared to your interview skills.

I appreciate all thoughts on my above comment.
markc

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Alphabet soup redux XVII Reply with quote

astroboy wrote:
I'm considering the TESL cert program out of Auburn University, USA. This name may, or may not, mean anything to an employer overseas. My take is no single program or certification is universally "better" than any other. In fact, opinion goes, any certificate is de minimis compared to your interview skills.

I appreciate all thoughts on my above comment.

This is definitely not true in Western Europe, where the CELTA and CertTESOL ARE considered better.

Anywhere else in the world and I'd agree with you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: