ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any experience with Skylearn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherjean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Any experience with Skylearn? Reply with quote

I am considering online employment and wonder if anyone has had positive or negative experience with Skylearn? Thanks
kicknteacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Sky Learn Reply with quote

I am interested in this company too due to the promised amount of pay but I started the interview process and so far have had problems with them getting back in touch with me when promised even after rearranging my schedule to attend "meetings." So I am feeling very unsure. Plus I have gotten the same "chain" e-mail at least 5 times about the initial interview which I have already had. It's as if the guy who interviewed me has no clue that he has interviewed me.

I figure worst case scenario that I can give it a try so long as they don't ask me for any kind of money which would definitely spell S-C-A-M. Confused
superhombre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: So many SkyLearn Reply with quote

i have been reading a lot about SkyLearn and what i found where 4 different SkyLearn

1) Skylearn es
is a esl service to help students in Span.

2) Skylearn ca
is a company that seems to do business training. Not much info and i think they are selling their product to big business.

3) Skylearn org and skylearn net (same people)
seem to education software directly to the consumer.

4)caskylearn com

is a SES provider for the state of California. They help students in language arts or math using computer mediated instructions at the schools of the students.

From what i can gather from reading public info from the California department of education they have been helping students for the past 6 years.
superhombre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

Here is a link that i forgot to add. This is a case study written about the caskylearn.com people.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1ATtzB_HPPjNzkyMTUyNmItZTI2OC00ZmUzLTg5ZjItM2RiMDUyNzYwMjU1&hl=en
ehjaye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Any experience with Skylearn? Reply with quote

teacherjean wrote:
I am considering online employment and wonder if anyone has had positive or negative experience with Skylearn? Thanks

I have had a negative experience with Skylearn. I got an interview and he asked me why I moved to Holland if I was in fact a Canadian. I told him it was for my partner who is Dutch. He then asked me if I had experience with online teaching. I told him I did and he said he would have to call me back. I had stated in my cover letter that I was a native speaker and that living in a non English speaking country should not be a reason for me to get less pay than was offered in the ad, as I have lived in an English speaking country for 33 years and still speak English in our home and have lots of English contact, and teaching experience.

I noticed that his Skype tag line said, "For teachers in the Philippians, you will be paid 5 USD/ hour, if you agree to this, then we will proceed further. " This was much less money than offered in the ad on this site of 15-17 USD per hour. And really are there many English native speakers in the Philippians?

But I answered his next call and he said, "You are my teacher, teach me about the Present Perfect." Well I did make a mistake and explained the wrong tense, and he got very rude. He raised his voice and said, "WRONG, Ejaye, wrong, completely wrong!!" Then he told me to call back for another interview when I knew my English grammar, then hung up on me.

I know it was my fault for not answering a simple question about an English tense, that was stupid, but if I were doing a lesson with a student I would have prepared some information and even a quick glance at my grammar resource would have been enough for me to easily explain this tense. So part of this error was my fault, but he was so rude.

After this interview, I wonder if they really want Native speakers or just cheap labor?
kicknteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see I wasn't the only one jerked around. It sounds like you are a quality teacher. I'm curious was your interviewer a fat jerk named John?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: