ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need guidance--seeking online ESL employment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brotogeris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Need guidance--seeking online ESL employment Reply with quote

I have 3 years experience teaching ESL at Miami Dade College (USA). I have no certificate. I would like to teach ESL online. When I look for jobs, I am overwhelmed with sales pitches for me to get a certification. I don't know how to sort through the info, and proceed in an organized fashion.

Is there something I MUST do to teach ESL online? Some credential I MUST obtain? Are there things I should ignore? What is the heart of the matter here?

Thanks for any suggestions.
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike most traditional jobs (where it's a degree + TEFL certificate) I don't believe there's a standard set of qualifications you must have to teach English online so it's just going to be a matter of getting in touch with the schools and asking them what they are after.
be2lewis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Online Teaching Reply with quote

There actually are certificates, degrees, courses and professional organizations that hold out an internationally recognized set of online teaching standards. The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) is the first one that comes to mind. Many US State Universities offer degrees based on these standards. Educational Technology is the area of study.

I am currently involved in the Boise State University program for a masters in edtech but there are certificates, BAs and PhDs in this area of study also.

It's a fascinating field and always changing in terms of technology just because the tools available are being developed so fast. There are classes for designing pedagogically sound curriculum for use on iPods and cell phones. I'm learning virtual world applications and how to make them safe and accessible for young students.

Technology is only as effective as the teacher behind it. It's merely a set of tools. Edtech is training for how to use the tools.

To answer your question yes, there is certification and standards for online learning and teaching that would most likely help you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: