ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Scam (for Cameroon)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Possible Scam (for Cameroon) Reply with quote

Hello:

I just want to check with an administrator about a recent posting from Cameroon. It just posted on April 13. I responded to it with the requested information that and received a response the next day in which documentation was requested. I was contacted the next day by someone claiming to be a U.S. representative. He explained that the website was under construction but that it would be completed by the end of the week. He E-mailed me a contract that he said he wanted to go over with me on the phone. They are offering $4000. The guy also informed me that I must send $780 dollars ($400 for visa and $330 for advance accommodations which will be refunded once I get there but is needed to assure candidates will come) for by Western Union to the financial contact in Cameroon. The same information is in the contract too. The E-mail states candidates must arrive before April 28th. So, they must receive the money before then. Another flag to me is that the guy called me from 2 different numbers that day with different area codes, and when our call dropped from the first one, I tried calling back but only got a message. However he called me back within minutes from the phone with another area code. He also sent me pictures of supposed accommodations in which the interiors and exteriors do not match up. He also told me to contact the phone numbers on the contract if I have any questions for the contact in Cameroon and as soon as I make the Western Union transaction tho send all the information to them by E-mail.

I believe this is a scam and am not planning to send them any money. I also think it needs to be checked out to prevent anyone from falling victim to them if it indeed found to be so. I will also be checking to see what else I can find out. I believe this is a very good resource, and it is very unfortunate that some individuals want to use it to exploit others. I also read the past post from 2009 made for another company for Cameroon, and it sounds exactly like the same scenario and possibly the same people could be behind this recent one.

Thanks!

P.S. I can forward the E-mails I've received if needed.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: SCAM Reply with quote

Hello Tia

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the heads up. I agree with you, it certainly has all the markings of a scam.

Therefore, it will be deleted from our Job Board today.

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: