ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes a good esl teacher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslschools

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: What makes a good esl teacher? Reply with quote

I taught English as a second language for a year in South Korea, and I am planning on applying for a year in another country. One of the questions is "What makes a good esl teacher. The second one is, "What makes a good lesson?" You could probably write a book on these two questions. What would be good, concise answers?
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: What makes a good esl teacher? Reply with quote

eslschools wrote:
I taught English as a second language for a year in South Korea, and I am planning on applying for a year in another country. One of the questions is "What makes a good esl teacher. The second one is, "What makes a good lesson?" You could probably write a book on these two questions. What would be good, concise answers?

A good teacher: Makes friends and students, not just students
A good lesson: Has something unexpected and something memorable

that's off the top of my head, I might think of something better if I put more thought into it Smile
JustMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How concise does it need to be?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: WHAT MAKES A GOOD TEACHER? Reply with quote

The following were the responses of students to this very question at a university in the UK. Four predominant themes were noted (in relative order of importance):

Teaching Skills: Students felt that an effective teacher explained ideas and concepts well; motivated and sustained student interest; used active-learning techniques; and acted as a facilitator to encourage and guide learning.
Personal Qualities: Students valued personal qualities such as, 套being kind, helpful, patient, enthusiastic and having a sense of humor.
Relationships with Students: Students appreciated instructors who were friendly, approachable, and took the time to 堵et to know them.
Teacher Knowledge: Subject-matter expertise and knowledge emerged as the lowest ranked theme.

Also, I nicked the following from a power point presentation on

WHAT MAKES A GOOD LESSON

1. A) Clear learning objectives B) Clear learning outcomes (what pupils must produce.)
2. An exciting short starter to stimulate enthusiasm, promote thinking and to engage the pupils from the start. May or may not be related to main lesson topic.
3. A series of short episodes addressing different learning styles where possible appropriate deployment of learning strategies.
4. A plenary draws together learning BUT is not just a summary. It must re-engage, review, test understanding, apply learning. Try to make it active for pupils rather than teacher reiteration.
5. Assessment for learning formative assessment should be seen in every lesson teacher Q and A, pupil self review against learning objectives, outcomes of problem solving, application of learning, all provide opportunities.

Best of luck.

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
TutorVanessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: What makes a good ESL teacher? Reply with quote

That's a really comprehensive list unionjack! As an ESL teacher myself, I will keep those suggestions in mind!

I just want to keep my response short and sweet.

A good ESL teacher is...sensitive to his/her student's needs and maintains to be enthusiastic and encouraging.

A good lesson...is informative as well as fun and enjoyable for the students.
rebecca.hartstrom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: great ESL teacher Reply with quote

I think what makes a good ESL teacher is to be alert to the necessities of your students and be able to give them proper solutions. It's also an effort to understand them in a personal level but without losing your place or your patience if you may. I think a good teacher must also be understanding but must correct the error whatever they are. He/she must be able to inspire confidence, someone you can rely on and be willing to learn new things to make her or his teaching better. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: