ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

are online tefl/tesl certificates legit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICAL_Pete wrote:
Schools do not reject job applications on the grounds that the training has been done through an online course.

Unfortunately, yes, they do, all the time. What most good schools want is that practical teaching component good onsite courses provide practically from day 1. And not just practical teaching, but supervised practice teaching. Some online courses allow for you to do a volunteer-type teaching component alongside the theoretical training they provide but, of course it's not supervised by a qualified trainer. So it means nothing.

Also -- and I realize you're selling an online course so you're going to be touting the advantages -- any conveniences to the teacher trainee, whether financial or time allowances, mean nothing whatsoever to potential employers.

Employers don't care if you couldn't afford the CELTA. They don't care that you couldn't quit your job to take a month-long course. They don't care about your family or other personal commitments. These days especially, with the economy and the cutthroat competition in this now-overcrowded field, they are the ones with the power. The best and most reputable employers, in the best locations, want and can get the best-trained teachers. Period.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many schools require a minimum of a 100-hour certificate (online or on-site). Others ask for a CELTA or Trinity equivalent, which is any 5-week on-site course or a highly recognized online course like Ontesol's 250-hour course with practicum (Recognized by TESL Canada Professional Standard 2). This program is an extended version of Coventry House International's 5-week Trinity CertTESOL program ( Recognized by TESL Canada Professional Standard 1).

Lucas from Ontesol
corbindoak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Online schooling Reply with quote

I am a big believer in online education. I hold a number of degrees from online institutions as well as my TEFL Cert. I have been teaching EFL for 6 years now and got my TEFL Cert online after teaching for 2 years. I found the program helped me to become a better teacher. Along with the course work there was also class observation provided in the form of a video. I found this to be very useful. I do however believe which ever way you go there is nothing better than good old experience. This beats theoretical study any day.
teflpro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Legitimacy - Online Certification and Authority of Posts Reply with quote

Online certification is certainly a legitimate form of licensing. Indeed, even the largest, most prestigious universities in the world are shifting into this market, though as slowly as the Catholic Church changes its doctrine. Yet, if you want verification for its legitimacy, that is one.

I am an experienced ESL teacher, as are many here, and I can testify that employers often do not care where the certificate is from or even if there is an observation module. However, given the choice between an uncertified M.A.-holding candidate teacher and a B.A.-holding candidate teacher (in the same field, such as Biology) with online TEFL certification, who do you think they would take? Yes, the latter. This person knows just that much more than the former about the actual job for which one of them will be hired.

Now a note about posts by people here who claim to hold some sort of authority in the ESL field:

A person who claims to be a trainer or director or anyone of authority in the field of ESL, yet produces diseased utterances, only remotely akin to English, should not be taken seriously. I am no highbrow, but if a person claims to be an expert then they should produce a quality that matches their boasts. Take as one example among many:

EFLtrainer wrote:
... but teaching is something that needs to be done to learn best.

'in order to best be learned' - passive voice required in this construction

EFLtrainer wrote:
It's not like, say, the sciences where most of the info simply needs to be memorized.

Scientific programs require laboratory work with nearly every course. How can that be simply memorization of information. Is this the view of an experienced educator?

EFLtrainer wrote:
Having seen the design of on-line certs, or partially on-line/self-study certs up close and personally as an TEFL/TESOL certificate trainer, I am not impressed.

'Up close and personal' is the collocation. The adverb is not part of the phrase and makes no sense here.

'...as a TEFL/TESOL certificate trainer...' - and neither are WE impressed with your grammatical problems.

EFLtrainer wrote:
There is simply too much that's not in the books that an experienced teacher and trainer will add to your training.

"That's" is superfluous here. It is clearer without.

--End of English Grammar 101
bonvivant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Online Schools Reply with quote

I have taken numerous correspondence courses, and for the most part have been very satisfied with them. I do though have much trouble with esl schools and the idea of certification through the mail or the internet. If one takes education as a subject in a college one must spend at least eight weeks being supervised by a licensed teacher in that specific subject. In reality this is not enough time, but it is certainly better than no supervised training. And the whole idea that an English college graduate needs certification in esl smells of profiteering since teaching English as a second language courses involve taking most of the subjects that the average English major takes anyway. To give these mail-order certificates the same creditability as an English degree demeans the value of the college degree. If those courses were taken in connection with an English degree, then there would be some assurance that there would be no repetition of material and that the material would be of good quality. Teaching is a difficult job even with the best of training; but without professional guidance, it becomes an unknown quantity. So if one is qualified to teach esl without a degree but with only an online certificate, then why are domestic English teachers required to have a license and a BA at least? Much of the requirements for esl teachers sounds like tiptoeing of qualifications just for the sake of making a profession look difficult to enter. Tiptoeing is out and out fraud, which does not belong in any profession.
JOHANNES

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: TEFL TRAINING ONLINE COLLEGE Reply with quote

Is the TEFL training college (online) legit? Anyone knows about them?
globaltesol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: TEFL online courses Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Many schools require a minimum of a 100-hour certificate (online or on-site). Others ask for a CELTA or Trinity equivalent, which is any 5-week on-site course or a highly recognized online course like Ontesol's 250-hour course with practicum (Recognized by TESL Canada Professional Standard 2). This program is an extended version of Coventry House International's 5-week Trinity CertTESOL program ( Recognized by TESL Canada Professional Standard 1).

Lucas from Ontesol

is it really necessary to get done with TEFL online courses?
ronnie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: TEFL TRAINING ONLINE COLLEGE Reply with quote

JOHANNES wrote:
Is the TEFL training college (online) legit? Anyone knows about them?

There are some good online schools for TEFL and ESL courses, but teaching is so much about interaction between student/teacher Iím not sure if it prepares you completely to do actual teaching, maybe you should consider doing a part online/part real life course? Well here are a few good online courses:

1. I-to-I is a legitimate TEFL course provider, under IES global (the company I got my TEFL certificate from) and it does offer online courses.

2. ICAL Online TEFL certificate. I havenít tried it myself, but I have a friend who went through them.

3. TEFLonline.com

4. TESOL by distance Lancaster Uni. As a subdivision of Lancaster University, I believe it is legit.

5. ATC Canada: Provides online and online/in class courses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: