ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Middle East ESL teachers well paid comparatively

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicmajenta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Are Middle East ESL teachers well paid comparatively Reply with quote

I'm just wondering where Middle East ESL teachers stand compared to those in Europe, Korea, Japan etc. Are you just making enough to get by or will you actually have enough to save. Will it depend on the country, school etc? But I also want to know in general where the region stands compared to other world regions in terms of conditions for ESL teachers.
sonja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Salary & conditions Reply with quote

Hi,
Just to let you know that I did a bit of research on the different salary packages for different countries, when I first started teaching. Japan gives you a high salary but the cost of living is high. The Middle East gives good packages with salary, accommodation etc but can be quite restrictive especially for women and a lot of the high paying jobs require a Masters and lots of experience. South America & Europe- don't expect to save much money. My first choice was Korea- good package (ie high salary, low cost of living, paid furnished apartment close to school, usually meals provided) and you can charge lots for private students. In one year I saved enough to travel to other Asian countries (Japan, Taiwan, China) and to buy an investment property back home. And Korea is a very safe country. Hope this helps.
Sonja
sonjalina.sasse@teachinternational.com
Wilba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I think Japan and the UAE have the best salaries. I currently work in Japan. It is OK here. If you have an MA and teaching experience you can land a university position and might get a three year contract. The pay and holidays are good. You can save. However, I think things are not as lucrative as they were here a few years ago. First, the salaries decreased a little at some Universities, and one or two extra teaching hours were expected. I am only talking generally. Second, the exchange rate for the yen was really favourable since around 2001. It got down to less than 60 yen = $1 AUD. That meant when you sent money home you were getting a lot better exchange rate. Now the yen is hovering around 100 yen for $1AUD. I don"t think rent for properties has gone up at all over the years and there is very little inflation here. When you pay tax, you pay nothing for the first year, then you pay in the second year for the previous years income. If you pay money into the pension scheme, you can claim three years worth of it back when you leave the counrty for good.
If you are not at University level, I think it would be difficult to save much in Japan, unless you really want to do a lot of hours teaching, and live in share accomodation or something. If you could do that for say two years you might save $10 or $20,000 US.
I am interested to find out about the UAE and how it compares with Japan.
I know one teacher who has worked in both places at University. He said the cultures are both very different and there are advantages and disadvantages.
The advantage financially in the UAE is it is a tax free salary and for the better positions you can often get health insurance, return airfares and education for two children. I don't know if the exchange rate comes into it much in the UAE but I read in their newspapers the UAE currency is not good at the moment on exchange rate, there fore they are having trouble attracting the best people for jobs over there. Does anyone know more about this? Or have advaice about teaching in the UAE with a MA degree and experience?
emerald

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK if you have a masters and experience, get to the uae, great packages if you want a uni., job. usual airfares, accommodation + bills, health insurance, relocation money as well as furniture money, usually children's school fee paid and excellent wages 3500- 6000 aus., dollars per month
Now at international school still good deals but not as good, you will get your airfare, accommodation + bills + furniture, 1/2 school fees for children, depending on experience 2500- 4000 aus., dollars per month, and it's all tax free.
Abdul Al-Qahtani

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Saudi is like heaven for everyone! Reply with quote

Repeated elsewhere, therefore deleted UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: