ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you have for life insurance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: What do you have for life insurance? Reply with quote

If you spend a considerable amount of time outside of your country.....(and many of you do).

What do you do for catastrophic events that may occur? Health insurance is offered through your employer, but it ends when your job ends. How do you insure for something that might occur "between jobs"?

I looked at term/whole life policies and I would like to buy something that builds equity and has cash value. In America, these policies are rather expensive and they charge 1st world prices but I would earn 2nd or 3rd world wages.

Is there a European or Asian company that would offer me coverage without charging me a lot of money? I need to think about this and I'd like to hear from you...

Regards,

Smile
wi11iam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm British. I still make my minimum National Insurance payments, so when (or if) I return to my home country, I'm still afforded all the same things, e.g. healthcare, as my fellow British citizens.

I live in Cambodia and schools here don't arrange health insurance. I do this by myself at a cost of about $1000 per year.
aardvark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am covered by VA healthcare when I am in the U.S. the downside is that full-time employment in my field is not an option.

I am now in Kuwait, and I have healthcare which is better than most U.S. employers. I am not ready for a long term strategy which involves living in a foreign country and flying to the U.S. for medical treatment. I would appreciate any suggestion.

For the short-term, I want to save enough to make up for the lost years of trying to get a full-time job in the U.S. This means saving in a country known for high cost-of-living. It can be done, but I have to do other things.

Once again, the Brits trump the Yanks. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: