ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italy scam alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottie1000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Italy scam alert Reply with quote

The Italian Ministry of Education (Instruzione) has a regular ad on this site for university teaching posts in Italy. Two things make me suspicious. When you are invited to interview in Rome they give you the name of a consultant at "Alitalia Cityliner". She then asks for cash via Western Union to secure your reservation. The second thing is that she has an initial address at "consultant. com", My research shows that this is a favourite site of scammers.
dilly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - some detail here.
coffee&ice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: The Washington School ESL offer Reply with quote

it is still announced on this website, updated the last Dec 2012.

In fact, I didn't know it is a FRAUD and after doing the interview through Skype, I was given the name of a woman, also her Skype ID and email address, for her to buy my ticket to Italy. Obviously I had to send her the money.....!!! Did realize the FRAUD then!

These are the email addresses these rubbish people use:

info@washingtonschool.it
alitaliacltyliners@consultant.com

Contatti.
Mr Philip Bess
Washington School
Via degli Scialoja, 18, 00196 Rome, Italy
E-mail: washingtonschool@rome.com
Tel/Fax; +39-0694800835/066793448
coffee&ice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on it!
Also informing as many people as possible.

Regards Smile
washington

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Italy scam alert Reply with quote

My name is Steve Barley, Director of Studies, Washington School/Elea Srl in Rome, Italy.
Washington School/Elea Srl is a bona fide school, but a certain Mr Philip Bess has stolen our web identity and is offering work in Rome and Viterbo at our address under false pretences.
After a Skype "interview" in chat only, he offers a fantastic contract, free accomodation, free plane tickets, help with work visas and holiday pay. He claims that by booking through a Mrs Abelia Cross at "Alitalia Cityliner" and sending a Western Union money transfer, he will refund teachers' travel expenses. In other cases he promises to provide non EEC nationals with a work visa - on payment of a certain sum of momey by Western Union.
We have in the past offered work to teachers in Viterbo, but have no more positions available there at the present time (March 2013).
THE REAL Washington School/Elea Srl DOES NOT ACCEPT MONEY PAYMENTS OF ANY KIND; WILL NOT REIMBURSE PLANE FARES AND CANNOT HELP WITH VISA APPLICATIONS.
TEACHERS SHOULD NOT SEND ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY TO ANYONE PURPORTING TO BE A REPRESENTATIVE OF WASHINGTON SCHOOL
I strongly suggest that any teacher wo has been asked for money by Philip Bess get in touch with the police immediately. We at Washington School/Elea Srl have informed the Italian police of events so far, but the more people who submit official reports to their local police, the better.
steve@washingtonschool.it.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: CONTACT Reply with quote

Any contact with schools, should be made via the school's website contact details and not via the contact details given in the advertisement.

This is a common mistake made by job applicants and this is how the scammers catch you out.

Be warned!

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: