ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saudis hiring at a rapid rate-- what gives?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Saudis hiring at a rapid rate-- what gives? Reply with quote

I've had 2 interviews with prospective Saudi employers and places like teachmideast.com & teachaerway.com and footprints recruiting are all looking for more ESL teachers than usual.

What is the big picture that I'm missing? Why do the Saudiis want to hire teachers NOW at this time? I've noticed that their universities have programs dedicated to IT courses and networking, etc.

In the U.S. I hear complaints that the American workforce lacks the "higher math-technical skills" to be competitive. Could it be that the Saudis want to train their people to fill these jobs?

Question Confused
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big picture is that Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, and to a lesser extent, Yemen and other countries are in a race.

It's a high tech world, and English is just one of the keys to winning the race. for example, all Saudi doctors must speak English.

Students entering university are under pressure to aim for doctor (lawyer isn't a respected profession here). Wink the lesser jobs range from dentist to pharmacist, to engineer, to systems analyst. It's hard to believe, but techie jobs are pretty much at the bottom of the scale.

Of course, you have to consider the demographics of the area: These are landlocked Saudis whose religious beliefs are to the right of Osama bin Laden. Women can get into trouble for displaying too much ankle......

So, if you are looking to get a job where you will make high $2000 to low $3000 per month, come to Saudi Arabia. It's not as competitive as UAE and the salary is equivalent. Shocked
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the quality of life?

Where I am now (Kobe Japan)the nightlife is great, the women are beautiful and talkative, and the cost of living isn't too bad...
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quality of life is what you make of it. Getting to and from the shopping mall can take 90 min. on foot or 10 min. by car. It's a long, dusty road to the Onaizah Mall (I live in Qassim). There is not much to do here, and the segregation of the sexes means no flirting with hotties. Sad However, things are really inexpensive around here.

In addition, I'm saving a bundle of money to make up for the "lost years" of teaching in the U.S. There are no U.S. taxes to pay (but then, you are in the same boat in Japan).

You have to share a villa with another guy (or girl if you are female). However, there is no rent to pay and there is the extra month of bonus pay once you complete your year of teaching.

Anyone-- if you have prior university experience-- any university experience or even uni preparation experience-- just PM me and send me your email. My company is recruiting and we need more teachers right away..13 months pay for working 12 and no U.S. taxes... Smile
afzal2112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi Arabia is good place to live, but they have many very strict rules regarding non residents. and life is the best for a national and OK for a non national.
Food is awesome , the more you pay better it gets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: