ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Teaching in Saudi Arabia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Make sure there is no prayer tower within striking distance Reply with quote

My company made the decision to move teachers out of the compound and into a hotel. Our housing salary is paying for a hotel room within stone's throw of a prayer tower. I learned this the hard way because the muzzy prayer call woke me up at 4:30 in the morning. I had to go back to sleep (hard to do) and wake up again at 6 to catch the bus into town.
For those of you who think the prayer call is romantic, try waking yourself up at around 4:30 every morning with something annoying that plays at around 120 decibels......
On top of that, I found out that the hotel water supply is solar-heated, which means hot water in Sept (no way to cool it) followed by lukewarm water in Oct. (no way to heat it). Going shopping means crossing traffic and dodging muzzy drivers who have little regard for other drivers, let alone pedestrians.....
For those who say that the students are the best part of teaching, I'd like to say the students are mostly apathetic (except 4 attendance) and a few are nitpicky little turds who delight in pointing out the few typos that I write on the board. They seem to enjoy parsing out the minor details in grammar without getting the "big picture" They don't realize that the level of grammar knowledge is fairly low with a few minimum objectives that are required of them. It never occurs to them that they should work on fluency.

That's my rant about KSA: stick a fork in me 'cuz I am done. Twisted Evil
kevinjose356

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that will be even more interesting to know what's the salary offer by you ?
aardvark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3200 per month and all the sand you can carry.
teacherlite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Make sure there is no prayer tower within striking dista Reply with quote

"Our housing salary is paying for a hotel room within stone's throw of a prayer tower. I learned this the hard way because the muzzy prayer call woke me up at 4:30 in the morning."

"For those of you who think the prayer call is romantic, try waking yourself up at around 4:30 every morning with something annoying that plays at around 120 decibels......"

LMFAO! So sorry for laughing, but your account just cracks me up
Laughing

By the way, who is your contractor? I'm looking for a job in Saudi Arabia at the moment and am trying to suss out companies to avoid.

Cheers.
afzal2112

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in a Job there , Dubai is best as it has a Cosmopolitan culture whereas SA has stringent rules. Be a law abiding citizen at both otherwise you will land up in trouble.
sadoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: POST DELETED Reply with quote

Post deleted - repeated elsewhere. UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: