ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much time do you usually spend preparing for a class?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much time do you typically spend preparing for a one-hour class?
I don't usually prepare for my classes
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Less than 15 minutes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
16-30 minutes
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
31-45 minutes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
45- 60 minutes
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

crueckert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: How much time do you usually spend preparing for a class? Reply with quote

Hello Readers,

I recently received an email from a fairly new teacher who felt like she was spending too much time preparing for her classes. She thought it would be interesting to find out how much time most teachers typically spend on preparing for a (one-hour) class... and so would I.

Feel free to add some comments about your experiences.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
crueckert@eslemployment.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 minutes should be adequate for a class that lasts a mere hour. I would say that 30 minutes for a 3-hour class should be the maximum amount of time spent on a single lesson.

Naturally less experienced teachers may spend more time planning and perhaps sometimes overplan. But, of course, planning and prep time will decrease with each month spent in the classroom. Eventually you reach the point where, someone could just hand you a couple of markers, and you could go in and teach an hour-and-a-half class, if you had to.
chinablix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How much time do you usually spend preparing for a class Reply with quote

crueckert wrote:
Hello Readers,

I recently received an email from a fairly new teacher who felt like she was spending too much time preparing for her classes. She thought it would be interesting to find out how much time most teachers typically spend on preparing for a (one-hour) class... and so would I.

Feel free to add some comments about your experiences.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I have been teaching in China for four years at the college level. I spend zero minutes a class preparing. I usually spend 10 minutes reviewing my notes on the way to class then just wing it from there. I use anything in my class to keep the students interested, anywhere from quotes, stories, humor, new words, conversations to movies and music. I like to keep every class different.

Sometimes I don't have a clue what I will do when I walk in the door. I find the mood of the class and go from there. It can start off with a simple question, statement, a word or a phrase that starts the class in motion.

I know it is successful because about 10% of my students are auditing the class and I always get great comments from other teachers. Some who audit my classes as well.

This kind of teaching style is not for everyone. It works for me because, quite frankly, I'm a bit nuts.

St. George

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: TIME Reply with quote

The time required to prepare for a class really depends upon 'how well you know your subject'.

First of all there will be a syllabus and from that you need to plan the order in which each topic is taught.

Next, you need to prepare your lesson plans.

Thirdly, you need to prepare your notes, visual aids and handouts.

It takes one hour of preparation for every minute in the classroom.

However, let's assume that all the above has been done and so all you need is to choose the correct lesson plan, notes, visual aids and handouts from your neatly organized stationery cupboard.

Prior to your class you will need to run through your lesson plan, checking that your notes, visual aids and handouts are in order and up-to-date.

You cannot spend too much time on class preparation.

St. G
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

preparing for a one on one conversation lesson, 5 minutes...
more like brainstorming a topic, thinking of a grammar topic the student might find a tad challenging, then how to relate them together, done

preparing for a class-room full of kids kinda class, an hour or so, for the reasons mentioned above Smile
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I am teaching a course I'll take more time preparing for it. Once I know what I'm teaching, it doesn't take long at all. I like to spend time thinking, rather than making a formal lesson plan. I'm so glad my workplace doesn't insist on that. If I have a good textbook, planning doesn't take long. What takes a long time is preparing supplementary materials, or trying to make interesting activities from a dull source.
aardvark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this:

For the CELTA cert, students have to spend a minimum of 3 hours prep time for a one hour lesson..........

Is this overkill?? There is the talk of "Meaning" and how you get the meaning across to the students, then there is "Form" in which you make students aware of the language structure, then there is the "Pronunciation" where you drill the features of the language into their teeny little skulls

I know because I'm doing this already, and these young Stepford teachers are buying into this abuse because they think they will amount to something. I mean, I wanted to become a better teacher, but putting 3 hours of prep time for a one hour lesson?? writing endless papers and putting up with teachers who are indifferent at best, and hostile at worst?!?!? Did I get sold another load of crap?? Question Question Question
milly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: LESSON PLANS Reply with quote

It depends to your style and experience. Some school administrators don't check lesson plans. If you have an objective you can easily make a good lesson. For me, it takes 30 minutes to 1 hour. A good and dedicated teacher always thinks about a good lesson and materials that are suitable for his students. Preparing your teaching materials, like printing appropriate pictures for your lesson, downloading music, making your own dialogue, games etc. takes time. A lesson plan should be congruent/parallel from objectives, motivation/warm up, presentation, discussion, practice up to homework. (congruency). In C___a they don't check this kind of lesson plan as long as you're a foreigner and you go to your class every day.

Preparing a lesson plan doesn't matter. But if you're a real teacher then this really matters.

Peace!!
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I'm currently working, we are not permitted to use supplementary materials. This makes planning much quicker. We have a textbook, and a lot more material in the textbook than time to complete it. The majority of my planning time is deciding what I'm going to omit.
middlewinter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustMe wrote:
Where I'm currently working, we are not permitted to use supplementary materials. This makes planning much quicker. We have a textbook, and a lot more material in the textbook than time to complete it. The majority of my planning time is deciding what I'm going to omit.

Really? Are you not allowed to add something that's not included in the textbook? I mean, it's good to have a lot of resources for the students to have wider knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: