ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange job interview_SCAM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xpert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Strange job interview_SCAM? Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

I've been applying for TEFL jobs for the past few months. I've worked as a TESOL Teacher for the past 7 years, but just now I'm starting to look for jobs via the internet.

I had a strange interview 2 days ago. I thought it was going to be with a video call via skype, but it ended up being a chat... When I inquired about our video call, the interviewer opened the camera and closed it 3 minutes later. I asked if we were going to talk more and he said, "No, I' ve just opened the cam for you to see me." he said

Today I've got a letter informing that I was selected, but I am having a feeling that this might be a scam..... Can you help me?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: SCAM Reply with quote

Hello Xpert

Welcome to the forum

It sounds like a scam; so you need to compare the contact details in the advertisement with the company/school website contact details. If they are different then you need to use the contact details in the website to find out if the job offer is genuine.

If the contact details are the same, then you need to check that the website is genuine.

If they don't have a website, in this day and age, then it is definitely a scam.

Do not pursue it anymore but start looking elsewhere.

If the job was posted on this site, please let us know and I can check the details for you.

UJ
Xpert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]This job vacancy came like this to me:[/b]

[i]Below is our job details you applied for via ESL EMPLOYMENT SITE.

Position Available From: February/March 2014
General Job Description: Excellent opportunity for a dedicated EFL teacher to grow and diversify as part of a friendly and supportive team. We are a prestigious and long-established language school offering courses in English, Italian, French, German and Spanish. Our schools is also a centre for Cambridge English Language Assessment exams (part of the University of Cambridge).
Number of hours per week: Average 20/25 hours weekly
Length of contract: A year and extendable, with the possibility of renewal for 2015-2016 academic year on mutual consent.
Additional requirement: Knowledge of Italian is helpful but not essential.

A Classroom:

The school is well resourced with a wide range of supplementary teaching materials and wireless internet connection throughout. We have bright and spacious classrooms and a very well resourced teachers´ room with computer and internet access. Teachers use up-to-date material specifically chosen for the students in each class group. The school provides clear course guidelines and objectives to teachers. We have a professional but almost family atmosphere in the school.

Teachers should be willing to share teaching ideas, assist in the preparation of new teaching materials and attend training/development days in school and local or national teacher conferences/training days (all expenses paid).
Salary: 2,400E/monthly after tax.
Severance pay: 2,000E
Additional teaching hours taught are paid as overtime.
Paid holidays over Christmas, Easter and any local or national holidays which fall within the contractual period.
Legal employment contract with full social security contributions paid by school.
100% medical insurance
Accommodation details: paid independent accommodation.

Please e-mail your CV, passport, degrees/certificates and recent photograph to apply.

Inlingua Ferrara
Dr Vico Hiedemann, Director
Via Mascheraio, 17
Ferrara, FE
44121 - Italy
Tel: +390 694801641
Fax: 532 207276
Web: http://inlinguaferrara-italian.com[/i]

If you could help it would be great.

Thanks a lott
Kyaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just checked out the same thing and so found your thread. I'm pretty confident it's a scam, but I'm going to call the school tomorrow to make sure. I'll let you know what happens!
Xpert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kyaro
I will do the same thing tomorrow and give you feedback also.
Today I got their contract , I ll check it with a lawyer friend of mine Wink
Thanks
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: TLS-Top Language School. Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up everyone. It is a scam and will be deleted from our site.

Some of the clues, in the information sent to applicants, are that they are using a genuine website http://inlinguaferrara-italian.com/en but with different contact details as shown below.

The advertiser's email is tlstoplanguages@gmail.com
The website email is Amministrazione.inlinguafe@gmail.com

The advertiser's skype address is inlinguaferrara
The website skype address is inlingua-italiano

The advertiser's telephone number is +390 694801641
The website telephone number is +390 5322209680

Something we missed in the original posting is that their website http://toplanguageschool.eu/ has been under maintenance since 2013-12-26.

I've also seen complaints on other forums about the TLS-Top Language School. See Dave's ESL Cafe.

My advice is not to communicate any further with this company.

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xpert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ve just talked with Inlingua Ferrara Director, and the job offer is a scam. She is already sending this case to the police.

It is veryy sad that these people are doing this kind of thing to people who are looking for a job.
Kyaro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I wasn't expecting anything else, but thanks for letting me know so I don't phone her too. Next time I'll do my research first, before I waste valuable job-hunting time!
Good luck with your search, I hope you find something good soon.
ErinT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who already applied and sent our documents, is there anything we should do? I don't like that some scam artist has scans of all my docs. I don't usually send all my info with an application, but the idea of working in Italy was so enticing. Embarassed
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: OWNER OF TLS Reply with quote

Here is a response from the actual owner of TLS.

UJ

Quote:
Dear All,
I am the owner of TLS, the new school established in the province of Padua, Italy. I just wanted to inform you that the the job offer mentioned on this forum was advertised by a scam artist, manipulating an advert. I published on a serious website I have already contacted to get this situation clear.
Since the good name of my school could be undermined, It's my duty to advise you I have NEVER promised that kind of compensation, or reimbursement.. .
I'm now cooperating with the police to find out who is the person who considers himself the "Head of studies", but I assure you he doesn't work for or with me, the skype contact he uses is not mine, as well as other details he uses on the advert.

I Hope my post can first help all teachers applying for this position and undergoing a false interview on Skype. As for me, I love my job and I'll continue to do it with seriousness and passion.
Regards,
E.M.
andi13423

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: It is a scam Reply with quote

Should I be concerned that I sent them all of my information? I most worried about them having my passport information. Does anyone know who I should contact?

Also...Moken...if you say it is not scam then did you go to the school? Do you have proof that it is real and that Dr Vico Hiedemann really works for the school because the school says that he is not.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: DOCUMENTS Reply with quote

Andi

Don't worry about copies of your documents and passport. They are no good without the originals. As long as you didn't send any money.

I will PM you with some further information

UJ
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the idiot who sent money for an aparent 'cheap flight' to a non-existent job, last year. Give them no money, bank details or passport number. Thankfully, I only lost a little money and sent no details but it has taken a long time to get my confidence back.
ClayDweller

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, If they are different then you need to use the contact details in the website to find out if the job offer is genuine.
Naomi Abrahams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, those who scammed me were capable hackers, so everything seemed genuine. It was only at the 'interview' that I saw that something was wrong. They didn't show their faces and had bad English. I was suspicious but got carried away. If you have any doubts,don't have anything to do with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: