ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does a Diploma Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
argonfly707

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Does a Diploma Help? Reply with quote

I am new to the ESL buisness but I would like to hop aboard. I am Canadian and 22 years old and am looking to get a job in Asia (Taiwan, Thailand, China etc.) I currently just finished my Computer Systems Technology Diploma from Red Deer College Alberta and am wondering if a Diploma helps and how hard will it be to find a job in those places. I am also just about to take my TESL course from Oxford Seminars if anyone has any feedback on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some teaching jobs will be available to you without taking a TEFL or TESOL course, but you should have access to better paying (and more rewarding jobs) by getting the training. For immigration purposes, you have a degree...good start.

Oxford Seminars is not bad at all. I believe they tend to focus on Asia for eventua jobs. You might aso consider taking a course abroad, perhaps in Thailand.
argonfly707

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guy, However I only have a Diploma I am wondering if that helps instead of a Degree.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, I missed that. You best check with the governments (consulates or embassies in your area) on that. I think you may have a problem. However, it is apparently common practice to work on a tourist visa or 'under the table' in some places. Not China though.
argonfly707

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your input Guy. My last question for you is with this education:
1) High School Diploma
2) Computer Systems Technology Diploma
3) TESL Certificate Which I will be getting.

What are the chances of me getting a job in Asia (China, Thailand, Taiwan) etc.

Thanks Again
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your chances are probably pretty good for Thailand and China, though I believe (and you should research this) that any job in China would be under the table, without a degree. I'm sure that Taiwan is out of the question without a degree.

Unionjack, the other moderator, might have more experience in this, so let's see what he has to say.
argonfly707

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would the best place be to research this information?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the legal stuff, check with the relevant consulate or embassy in your area. There will be one in every major Canadian city likely.

For potential employment without working papers (ilegal yes, but common practice) keep posting on this site. Someone will answer, most likely a recruiter. There are also other forums such as

http://www.teachers-international.com/forum/
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/
http://www.tesall.com/international/index.pl

Otherwise, Oxford Seminar should have a job placement department. If they don't, consider another course as this should be standard for any course operator.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Job search Reply with quote

Hello Argonfly

Sorry, I can't help you with this one.

UJ
reecehiggins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've finished one level of the diploma you can move onto the following stage, study for an alternate capability like A-levels, or go into job. Learners who have finished the propelled confirmation can likewise apply to college. Progressed recognitions are just accessible to understudies matured 16 or more established. Learners in excess of 16 can additionally take a movement confirmation in the event that they would prefer not to study for an entire certificate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Academic Degrees... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: