ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BIG Lie: TESOL & TEFL Certificate Required To Teach In C
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CFTU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: BIG Lie: TESOL & TEFL Certificate Required To Teach In C Reply with quote

Too many greedy people are spreading the costly lie that you must have a TEFL or TESOL certificate to teach in China.
This is a big fat lie and they need this lie in order to sell you an expensive TEFL or TESOL course.

Sure, taking a TEFL or TESOL course will improve your teaching skills but less than 400 schools/learning centers out of some 20,000 in China ask for these certificates, and less than 5% of expat foreign teachers in China hold them. IF YOU HAVE NEVER TAUGHT ENGLISH BEFORE, WE WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU INDEED TAKE A TEFL OR TESOL COURSE (CELTA or TESOL are the most recognized/accepted). But do not be misled about WHY you need to buy one of these training programs.

Because job agents and recruiters are offered substantial commissions if they can enroll you in a TESOL or TEFL course, they too help spread the lie. Please visit these links to learn the truth about teaching in China, and remember...People that lie to you will also cheat you.

http://www.bjstuff.com/profiles/blogs/scam-alert-no-tefl-certificate-required-to-teach-in-china-china

http://www.ChinaScamBusters.com
The CFTU is China's first and only private labor union representing the 25,000+ foreign teachers now working in China. Visit our website at www.ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.org for details and join our cause if you agree with it!
Liza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: China Foreign Teacher Required Qualifications For ESL & Reply with quote

These people agree with you CFTU. Thanks for bringing this fraud to our attention. I honestly believed the BS until I read your post.

http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?89084-Beware-China-Foreign-ESL-Teachers-of-TEFL-amp-TESOL-Certificate-Job-Scam!&p=246079#post246079

http://ChinaScamPatrol.wordpress.com
RoseV8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: The Devil is in the Detail Reply with quote

Schools were officially notified two months ago that all English teachers applying for Foreign Expert Certificates will require a TESOL certificate starting in 2015.

An update today has brought this forward to be effective from October 2014.
Okay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Devil is in the Detail Reply with quote

RoseV8 wrote:
Schools were officially notified two months ago that all English teachers applying for Foreign Expert Certificates will require a TESOL certificate starting in 2015.

An update today has brought this forward to be effective from October 2014.

This is false information TESOL agent Rose would like you to believe. It was recently announced that the city of BEIJING wants to increase the qualifications levels of teachers and has made proposals that would require, as of yet UNKNOWN certifications that MAY include a TEFL or TESOL certificate, or MAY include passing an examination, or MAY require teachers to have an degree or 5 years educational experience. AS OF TODAY THE FUTURE REQUIREMENTS ARE STILL UNKNOWN and the current requirements are found listed here: http://ChinaScamPatrol.wordpress.com and at http://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.com
RoseV8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, I am not a TESOL agent or a recruiter, or any other kind of agent. I have nothing to gain financially or otherwise by passing on information supplied by officials to school administrators. I suggest you master the local language so you fully understand what is going on rather than what you hope is happening.and if name calling is the best you can do go back to kindergarten.

Anyone thinking of coming to teach in China should contact the Chinese Embassy in their home country rather than biased websites. After all, the Chinese are still running China not a bunch of disgruntled foreign teachers.
More Or Less

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever Rose V8 is or isn't, her information about having to have TEFL/TESOL certificates to teach in China is not true at all. For a list of what you really need to work as a teacher in China see here;

http://open.salon.com/blog/china_business_central/2014/09/07/new_china_foreign_employee_teacher_requirements_now_strict

Or you can contact your own embassy or visit http://safea.gov.cn
RoseV8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese government changes laws frequently in response to current circumstances. It does not necessarily immediately notify foreign embassies. It makes sense to check the current regulations with the embassy of the country concerned. The attitude of people posting here seems to be that foreigners or foreign embassies know more about laws in China than the Chinese authorities. It is this superior, bullying attitude of many foreign teachers that has made it necessary to tighten regulations regarding their entry into the country.

Here is the link to the official announcement:
http://www.bjld.gov.cn/xwzx/zxfbfg/201409/t20140915_36453.htm

I am not going to translate it or I will be called a liar again.Get your own interpreter, Google is not recommended..

Unfortunately, having a TESOL certificate or even a B.A. does not guarantee that somebody is a decent person. Likewise, a clean criminal record often only means that the person just has not been caught yet or was able to afford a good lawyer who ensured the conviction was not recorded. The problem of ensuring that decent people and not militant riff raff are teaching English to Chinese children is still far from being solved.
Liza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the new announcement three times and it talks about "proposed" new regulations that "may" require 5 years of teaching experience and TEFL or TESOL certification for pre-school teachers (kindergartens) AND these proposals are ONLY for BEIJING. With the toxic air pollution of Beijing, less and less teachers want to work here anyway! Until the "proposed" law become official, the current requirements as Okay posted remain in effect. Here is the announcement in English... http://www.china.org.cn/wap/2014-09/16/content_33524977.htm
RoseV8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read the official Chinese version did you?

Good for you, please tell me which Chinese character says "proposed"
I have a Professor of Mandarin Language in my living room now eagerly awaiting your reply.

Strangely enough, I can't find the word "proposed" in English in the text of your link either.
Liza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose... I read this version here which comes from the Chinese Government. What does the word "MAY" mean to you? Also please note that not one official source has been identified by name. When "MAY" becomes reality, I will pay more attention, and as of last Friday the Beijing SAFEA office confirmed that "no changes have yet been made to current requirements"

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2014-09/16/content_33524280.htm

I think for now you may want to be concerned about the new crack down of fake diplomas used by hundreds of foreign teachers to find teaching jobs in China.
RoseV8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention a ¡°version¡±, read the original; too many English versions have been poorly translated.

What skin is it off your nose if foreign teachers have to meet stricter requirements anyway? It is, after all, for the good of Chinese students and that is who we should be concerned about. Any measure that keeps out the trash is a good one and properly qualified teachers should applaud such regulations.

It is interesting that all links provided by your members are either written by them or anonymous.

What do you have to gain by refusing to accept the situation unless it will affect you personally?

I made the original post for the information of those intending to come to China, not to be attacked by people who are angry because things are not going the way they would like.
Liza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose...

This is not about what I like or don't like. This is about FACTS and the news release put out by China Daily clearly says "MAY" and unless and until there is an actual law passed, that says "NOW DOES REQUIRE" or "WILL GO INTO EFFECT" we need to deal with the reality of current requirements which do NOT include TEFL, TESOL, nor CELTA certifcates.

Personally, I am for more qualified teachers not less. As an English major and veteran teacher I am quite familiar with the word "MAY" so please don't argue with me further as you cannot change my position on this issue.
RoseV8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Liza"]Rose...

This is not about what I like or don't like. This is about FACTS and the news release put out by China Daily clearly says [b]"MAY"[/b] and unless and until there is an actual law passed, that says "NOW DOES REQUIRE" or "WILL GO INTO EFFECT" we need to deal with the reality of current requirements which do NOT include TEFL, TESOL, nor CELTA certifcates.

Personally, I am for more qualified teachers not less. As an English major and veteran teacher I am quite familiar with the word "MAY" so please don't argue with me further as you cannot change my position on this issue.[/quote]

Just as you, Madam, and your puppet masters can¡¯t force me to agree with you or the Chinese government to obey your militant union. I will continue to believe the OFFICIAL information provided to school administrators.

I also believe this is an open forum where anyone can comment and I will continue to do so, I do not need your permission or agreement. Save your attitude for your unfortunate students who are conditioned to believe that what you say must be right.
Liza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose... I speak only for myself and I think at this point we can just agree to disagree. I will choose to believe the current law as told to me by both the U.S. embassy and the Beijing SAFEA office who both tell me no new changes have been officially made to the China foreign teacher requirements but there maybe some official announcements coming in October. Just like they were supposed to announce a 5 and 10 year resident visa for expats already in China back in 2013 - and never did. So the current requirements can still be obtained here - from YOUR government and MINE:

http://SAFEA.gov.cn

http://shenyang.usembassy-china.org.cn/acs-notice2/teaching-english-in-china.html?op=switchOnAdmin
RoseV8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your government, where am I from then?

That's a rhetorical question of course. Believe it or not, some of the foreigners who come to China are happy to abide by the laws of their host country rather than try to change them. Some actually learn to speak Mandarin.

Anyway, TIME WILL TELL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: