ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you insist your students adopt an English name in class?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoseV8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Do you insist your students adopt an English name in class? Reply with quote

All students where I teach use an English name and most have done for five years or more. If a new arrival prefers not to it's fine with me. If the student can make the effort to learn English I can make the effort to get my tongue around their given name.

Recently a new teacher insisted everyone must adopt an English name regardless of how they felt about it. Not only that, the names must all be biblical because he is religious!

This means students would have to change the English names they have used for years resulting in confusion for not just the students but the existing staff as well.

Who does the new teacher think he is?

More importantly, where does he think he is?

I'd be interested to hear how others feel about this sort of arrogance.
TEFL World Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that what that teacher is doing is very, very poor. A name is such a personal thing that it should never be forced upon someone. How would the teacher like it if they were forced to use a different name belonging to a different religion from their own?

This is a good article on the subject, by the way.
caseyorourke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: English names for students Reply with quote

I don't insist on it, and if a student does not want one, that's ok with me. If a student wants to change their name or wants me to give them one, I usually try to think of one that is as close to their native name as possible. It sometimes makes for an interesting challenge, but they are usually happy with the results, because I know more of the more uncommon or obscure names, like Shawnee, Lexi or Anson.
rebecca.hartstrom

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion a teacher should not insist at all. That's rather unethical because why would a person insist that their students change or adopt English names and a Biblical one at that. There's something very wrong there.
Peter Goudge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: English Nicknames Reply with quote

While it's been a long time since anyone posted on this thread, I wanted to support Casey's contribution. Her common-sense approach is what you'd expect from a peofessional teacher.

In the 8 years that I've been teaching English in Vietnam including running my own school, I have never had a student who didn't want an English nickname.

Nicknames inject a bit of fun - Batman, Obama, Queen, Micky M, - and they make it a bit easier to remember who is who is a large class.
KevanC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good they have English names but a shame they have to change them if they already have existing ones. Still, the teacher is the boss at the end of the day.
St. George

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: MUSLIM Reply with quote

If they are muslim I don't think it is a good idea to give them any kind of nickname because they are usually named after the prophet Mohammed or their fathers or their names have some religious significance and, in any case, I don’t think it will help them to improve their English.

St. G.
Jock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: English Alias First Name Reply with quote

St George is right here. Parent’s consent is generally important even in China. Under such circumstances, if students insist on taking an English name it can be put off by suggesting ‘wait until you reach university’.
goodChloe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those that this quite poor performance of the teacger. As chlidren are experiencing the period when they realise who they are, who are the people nearby, who thier friends are. This is totally unacceptable, untill children want to play and like to create some English names as funny thing. That is my opinion) Rolling Eyes
Kerenabc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: I disagree Reply with quote

The teacher has no right to let students change their name. He/She should be reported to the principal for proper discipline.
Lena2222

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MUSLIM Reply with quote

St. George wrote:
If they are muslim I don't think it is a good idea to give them any kind of nickname because they are usually named after the prophet Mohammed or their fathers or their names have some religious significance and, in any case, I don’t think it will help them to improve their English.

St. G.

I agree
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Say Anything... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: