ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you want to teach abroad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why Do You Want to Work Abroad?
To See The World / Get the Heck Outta Here
24%
 24%  [ 15 ]
To Make Some Money / Look for Opportunity
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
To Meet Interesting People
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
To Start A New Life / Do Something Different
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Personal Reasons / I'm Running Away from Something I Don't Wanna Discuss
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I Wouldn't Tell You If I Could (Or Knew)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
I Have No Idea. Any Suggestions?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Several of These Reasons
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
None of These Reasons
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 61

chenacross

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes for :
To Make Some Money / Look for Opportunity

Everyone looks for stability in their life. Stability comes when you are financially settled. You are financially settled only if you earn good money. So why not look for opportunities that brings good money.. !! What say you?
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love teaching English, but I'm happier teaching monocultural classes. If I stayed in my home country, then I'd have to teach classes where the students come from different cultures and speak many different languages. I don't find it as satisfying. When all of the students have the same cultural/linguistic background, I feel that I can create a much more supportive atmosphere in the classroom.
Markchase07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your work is not merely a way to earn some money and lead a good life. You need to enjoy and learn something everyday. Teaching abroad opens up many prospects, you can travel to a new place, learn their culture, learn a new language and make friends all over the world.

Mark Chase
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markchase07 wrote:
Your work is not merely a way to earn some money and lead a good life. You need to enjoy and learn something everyday. Teaching abroad opens up many prospects, you can travel to a new place, learn their culture, learn a new language and make friends all over the world.

Mark Chase

I especially agree with the part about learning another language.
I find it so very beneficial to a language teacher to also be a language learner.
I consider it to be a key part of the career.
TutorVanessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Why I want to teach abroad... Reply with quote

I want to teach abroad for various reasons but mainly for the sake of traveling and visiting new countries. I love meeting new people and getting to know other cultures. Since, I was younger I've always wanted to see the world and I thought the best and most enjoyable way of doing this is to teach English abroad.

I think that teaching English is kind of like my passport to the world (well most parts of it). By teaching English, I can travel and earn a living at the same time.

I'm currently finishing up my Linguistics degree and TESL certificate, so as soon as I'm done, I'm heading off!
eslschools

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Language Camps with combinations: For maximum pleasure while Reply with quote

People of different ages from worldwide enroll for the language course every year. Students have the option of accommodation starting from host families, studio, shared apartments etc.
Splendid Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked the first option. At first, I saw teaching mainly as a way to get a foot in the door in Japan (I majored in Japanese and loved the place). Sure: I did think teaching English would be fun but it was mainly a means to an end at the time. I ended up in China instead as there were far more opportunities for natives from 'non-English speaking countries' at the time. I pretty much lived from yearcontract to yearcontract for four years and in light of my experience at this stage I don't see the point anymore of moving into another industry even though I picked up an MSc degree in another field along the way. I am now taking ESL serious as a career. It gives me pretty much anything that I want: a job I enjoy doing, opportunities for continuous professional development as well as the opportunity to live in Asia and learn from this continent. I suppose I would consider teaching ESL back in Europe as well but given the (generally) lower standard of living for teachers, and considering that living in Asia has been a constant source of fasination for me, I don't see the point.
ibigcseacademy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Everybody Should Work Overseas at least Once in a Lifetime Reply with quote

This is what I believe, I believe everybody at least once in their lifetime should work and live Overseas. Pick a place which is very different than your own. Its a wonderful experience and a lot of learning. I am from New York City, trust me working in Indonesia I have learned a lot, 1st thing I learned is "Patience" and 2nd how people live a small and happy life. I believe, I see life in a very different way now. Thanks to traveling and working Overseas.
adatuborn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us want to teach in a foreign country because of great past experiences. We also want to meet new friends and visit old friends far away. There is also the desire to bringing people together and being a part of a global community.

Yep, that's my reason.
adpel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and most of my friends are working abroad just to see this "abroad", but I've met people who tried to escape something and found themselves in countries they couldn't. or exactly opposite - they felt in love with (or their man/woman;). there might be many reason. it's the most important to take good decision.
ferozkhan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: WHICH ROAD Reply with quote

Etc.Van wrote:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

The less travelled road always brings you to the dreamland about which you never thought. The road that you know to which destination it takes the chances of getting unexpected opportunities will be less. Because everyone thinks of easy work.
craigdanielson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: WORKING ABROAD Reply with quote

Looking for a job abroad seems to be a common thing for people nowadays; I have been in a job placement and recruiting system for years and every single time I have noticed; that people were always preferring to work abroad apart from home just because of earning more and more money and looking for better opportunities. But for my part, working away from home definitely brings a tough experience for us; where we are going to miss our family, friends and relatives. Never before have I experienced such a tough task but anyway it is quite amazing to work abroad.
shoneejay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in Germany. My father was military and I want to go back to Europe. To experience it with my family.
esldon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a combination of these reasons.

I've been in Japan and Korea, and itching to get back abroad from Canada. The #1 surprising things is the relationships you form with other foreigners and the locals. I've met people from years back that I still am in contact with.

Too many reason to list really - the teaching experience, the food, the travel, the life experience, freedom .... kinda like what's in this list - http://allesl.com/teach-english-abroad/

And of course, the money is pretty good too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: