ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E2 visa question for South Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_russian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: E2 visa question for South Korea Reply with quote

Guys, I am not sure this is the right place for this post, but I am just desperate to get an answer. I've been doing research on what "native" english speaking person means according to the standards of this visa.

I have a four year university degree from university of Toronto majoring in Psychology. I lived in Canada for the last 19 years, I am 37 now. I lived in Russia from ages 0-10 (born there) and lived in Israel from 10-18. So I finished high school in Israel where the primary language of instruction was Hebrew.

I will soon have a reliable TESOL/CELTA/Trinity TESOL under my sleeve with 100 hours of theory and about 20 hours of practicum with actual ESL students. In any case, it will be a well known TESOL/TEFL certification. Combined with a four year degree from an accredited Canadian university plus a Canadian passport, I should have a good shot at teaching english in Korea. I also taught english in France in 2005 for 7 months after graduation.

I know EPIK program defines "native" as someone who studied in english speaking environment since Grade 7. I dont have that. I would hate to think that this stupid grade 7 standard means teaching english in Korea is forever inaccessible to me.

My questions are:

1. Just because EPIK has this grade 7 standard, does that mean E2 visa has the same standard? Because I didnt see that on the Korean government site.
2. Do all public schools in Korea follow EPIK standards for visa?
3. Do all public schools in Korea fall under the EPIK umbrella? If not, what percentage of public schools does not? Just how much does EPIK dominate the public schools market?
4. What about private schools? Do they also follow the grade 7 definition of "native" english speaker, or do they set out their own rules?
5. Realistically, if I am not eligible for EPIK, are my chances better with private of public schools?

Thanks a lot, appreciate your input,
Daniel.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: EPIK Native Speaker Reply with quote

Hello daniel_russian

Welcome to the forum

I can't see anything that would barr you from obtaining an E2 visa.

Nevertheless, there is always the possibility that somewhere down the line, someone will ask the question and unless you have the evidence, then you will be in trouble. The only way forward, would be to obtain a degree in English and a teaching certificate and you don't have to be a native speaker but is it worth it, just to teach Conversational English.

Incidentally, do you consider yourself a native speaker?

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> New ESL Teachers... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: