ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New job in Saudi Arabia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: New job in Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

About 1 year ago, I interviewed for IPA in Riyadh. I got tired of snot-nosed Saudis coming in late and asking to be marked present.
I had a phone interview with an American teacher there in Jan. and I got the job right over the phone.
Fast forward 9 or 10 months and I arrived in Riyadh to thank the teacher who hired me. It turns out, he left along with 10-20 other teachers. This was very odd for direct hire teachers to bail out. Then I worked with the administration and I found out why all those teachers left. IPA subcontracts teaching with 2 other companies. If a student complains about anything (usually it's not being marked present) the teacher is gone tout suite.
In the last 2 months, this dump has released about 10-12 teachers. Mind you, contract teachers don't make as much as direct hires (about 2000-3000 SAR less per month) and they teach more class hours. For the contract teachers, it's a matter of economics: they don't make that much to put up with abuse. For the direct hires, it's a balancing act. Which will fill up faster? the bucket of s**t or the bucket of cash.
St. George

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Glad to hear everything is going fine and that you are still enjoying life. I can recommend Cyprus for some R & R, if ever you feel the need. However, it is a 2 hour flight. I flew from Saudi to Larnaca, hired a car and drove down to Limassol and stayed at the Atlantica Miramare (Mermaid) Hotel on the beach. Lots to do at the hotel and plenty bars and cafes within walking distance. Drove around the island but not much to see, so better staying around the hotel. Nice rooms with terraced balcony. There is always Bahrain but it is full of Arabs!!!! Try to get into the expat clubs and you will feel that you are back home. I can recommend the Brit Club and the Dilmun Club.

Take it easy!
aardvark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi St. George. I'll look into Cyprus. This place thinks of teachers as so much labor to be abused but with all the attrition, I've got some job security. It reminds me of AC Kuwait in that respect. I came here wth the intention of lasting 5 or 6 years, but time will tell.
War might even break out and ruin my plans. There was a missile intercepted close to S. Riyadh and I heard the explosion. But that's normal for this part of the world, isnt' it? Cool
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Stay away from IPA Reply with quote

Hey, I finished my year w/ IPA and the students really liked me. However, I knew I pissed off admin when I had problems with the sound system in the classroom. This feedback noise interrupted my speaking during the last 15 min. of class. So I dismissed the class early.
The dean came to the class and saw an empty classroom (Saudis like to do surprise inspections). He wasn't impressed with my story of defective sound equipment. He wanted to fire me, but since I was direct hire, he had to wait for the school year to end.
In addition. I got observed by a Jordanian who constantly saw everything wrong with the class. Some sstudents were looking at phones. Some students had no textbooks, etc. etc. Some students did not wear headgear.
Their shortcomings were my shortcomings because IPA expects teachers to know their names and write them up so the students don't get paid (yes, the students get money to study). Its' hard for me to tell Abdulrahman from Mohammed. So this Jordanian dude (Medhat the Asshat) wrote this stuff in his observations.
On top of this, the vice dean would not respond to my emails directly. He would send Medhat to respond to my emails by walking into my office to answer the questions. You know there is trouble when admin doesn't leave a paper trail (or even a cyber trail).
Even the contract teachers were fired left & right. ICEAT and EduGuide had a hard time keeping up with the staffing requirements. Many teachers were glad to leave IPA.
Finally, the grades came in and admin told the teachers to raise grades. Those students who scored between 50 and 59 were raised to 60 to promote the worthless. There were some really poorly behaved students who earned their low marks & they got rewarded. Every mark at 60 is suspect and employers should not hire Saudis with that score.
Now I gotta think about the next move.. . . . . .
St. George

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

Hi Aardvark

Sometimes it is better the devil you know, so don’t make any hasty moves. I wish I could recommend somewhere but alas they are all the same.

I remember telling some of my students that unless they improved, they would be fired. “No teacher”, they said, “we will be fine, we will just see the Director”. Sure enough, at the end of the year, after I had failed them, they were reinstated by the Director.

You can only do your best with what you are given. Actually, I got on better with the students than the expats. Many of the expats were wasters and wouldn’t be able to get a job back home.

Abu Dhabi would be a good contract if you could get in there. I know the manager of a recruitment agency in Abu Dhabi, so I will pm you the details.

Take it easy

St. G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: