ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibility for non-native English speakers teaching ESL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elisa Benafin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Possibility for non-native English speakers teaching ESL Reply with quote

Hello! I am a Filipino and am very interested to teach ESL in China. From my kindergarten days up to the time I finished my college degree, I attended a very good school that used English as a medium of instruction. I also had 12 years of experience teaching elementary school children using english again as a medium of instruction.

I am 51 years old but still quite capable of meeting the demands of a teaching position in a foreign country. China is a wonderful country with very good people as I have seen in 1995. I was a participant in the World women's conference conducted in China at that time.

May I please hear from you what chances I have. Thank you.
Gerard Denaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Other Asians teaching ESL in China Reply with quote

In my experience, having English at a good level of competency is not the major selection criteria for ESL teachers in China. Finding a teaching ESL job will depend on whether you are of western or Asian appearance (i.e have Asian features). As you have indicated that you are Filipino, I would unfortunately think you have little chance of a job in China. Administrators prefer young, blue-eyed blondes to attract prospect students and their parents. Being female I think also helps. In some countries like Oz such attitudes would be classed as politically incorrect at best or racism at worst.

I tried to find a job in China for an Aussie colleague who happened to also be from HK. But was promptly told by the school PR officer that Asian looks werent acceptible. Salaries or wages are around A$150-200 per week plus accommodation. I suggest u may like to try the Middle East, South America or Eastern Europe where Asian appearance may be acceptible and salaries are more attractive.

There are numerous positions in ESL but you must do a lot of background research, like speak with a foreign teacher at the school, find out where the school is with respect to the city centre. I also prefer 2 know how far away the local buses, supermarkets and restaurants are. No sense being stuck in a factory area with lots of pollution is there?
good luck
Wocca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elisa Benafin wrote:
" ... I am 51 years old but still quite capable of meeting the demands of a teaching position in a foreign country. China is a wonderful country with very good people as I have seen in 1995. I was a participant in the World women's conference conducted in China at that time.
May I please hear from you what chances I have. Thank you...."

Hi Elisa,

This is my fourth year in China.
I have met Filipino teachers here.

If you are still interested, you could
send me a personal message.

Cheers
WOCCA
Ella

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am afraid, the recommendation about Eastern Europe is not exactly appropriate. I have a Russian background and know what I am talking about; there will be issues you won't be pleased with. Sorry about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: