ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

overseas teaching with family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachingmom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: overseas teaching with family Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience teaching abroad with a family of their own? My kids are still young and will be at home for years yet but I would like to try overseas teaching. I've heard people say it can be done but not how.
Anyone?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: teaching abroad with a family Reply with quote

Hello Teachingmom

Check out the following threads

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118&view=next

UJ
Jewel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Teachingmom,

If you are thinking that you can support a family working from home because you have to be with your kids...it is never easy and you really have to find some good and reliable clients to be able to have a sustainable income. In Italy children can go to kindergarten on a full-time basis (from 8am to 4pm) from Monday to Friday from the age of 3. The costs are much lower than in the US. Such an arrangement may allow you to have a fixed time frame during which you could teach in and out of the home. I tried to give lessons in my home when my kids were little, but I never felt professional or comfortable having them around. I suppose it depends on the types of students you find. My advice would be to research the country and city in which you find work and plan everything accordingly. Work, housing,kindergarten and/or babysitter, etc. Definitely read the threads recommended by unionjack!
Good luck!
Jewel
teachingmom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: added info Reply with quote

I have read the threads and they were quite helpful. I should maybe explain that I'm not a single mom so I was looking to see if I could support a family on a foreign income but wouldn't have to worry about childcare necessarily. My husband is not in ESL but neither is his current job particularly stable.
I am lucky enough to be working in a college but only parttime or on shortterm contract. I have a wonderful boss and it's great work when I can get it. I was looking for a different experience, for myself and for my kids. I guess we all can be unsatisfied no matter how much we have.
thanks everyone
Teachingmom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: