ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Started Please Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Getting Started Please Help Reply with quote

I have a Business Degree from a Canadian University and I am seriously considering getting into teaching. I called these guys :

Academy of Teaching and Training (Canada)

to get some info about the course prices and how it all works. My question is: I have a dual citizenship Canadian and Polish (2 passports so I can legally work anywhere in Europe). I've been in Canada since I was 10 years old ( hit 29..here comes the big 30..lol) and fluent in both English and Polish. I do have a little bit of an accent, some people can tell some can't. I understand there's been a lot of conversation about non native speakers and their problems of getting into teaching positions. What's your take on it all. I don't want to waste my time and money if I'm just gonna be shafted because of my almost non existent accent. Any comment would be greatly appreciated...

Chris
renatka29

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Accents and such matters... Reply with quote

Hey,

How is it going? I just wanted to let you know that I obtained my master's degree in ESL/EFL and English Literature in Slovakia in 2003 and I do have an accent (a slight one, but I do, and people can tell), and I have been living in the U.S.A. since 2001, but right after I got my master's, I found my first teaching job in the U.S. and have been teaching here ever since. Well, to make a long story short, I went from non-profit agencies to a university setting(IEP) in four years.

I often feel a little discriminated; I know that I will be interviewed by more than one person not because I'm incompetent, but because that's what they do with non-native speakers, but I can honestly say that I have been very successful so far. It's not easy, but its feasible.

Be confident, know what you want, and don't give up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: