ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers Who Disappear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Teachers Who Disappear Reply with quote

Reposted from another discussion...

Quote:
One topic I haven't seen on this board is about teachers who seem to disappear. I have a few interesting stories to share.

The first is a case where we heard that immigration ws involved. Still not sure of all the details, but this teacher just disappeared and the most we could get out of someone who came later was that the police showed up at the building where both of them were living ( in separate apartments) and took him away for an immigration violation. It was rumored that his university diploma was a fake.

Another one was an instructor who went on vacation and never came back. She left with her husband to take a vacation in Canada, never came back and we never heard from her again.

Anyone have any weird stories about teachers who seemed to disappear?

Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Teachers Who Disappear Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Anyone have any weird stories about teachers who seemed to disappear?

Oh, Guy I have tons of these kinds of stories! If only I could "freely" speak without damaging repercussions. Crying or Very sad

Let me think for awhile on this one. It may not be "prudent" for me to give away too many details about the experiences I've encountered lest someone out there recognizes themself. Embarassed

Great, great topic though: the definite "other" side to the getting-screwed-over game in the ESL industry. I haven't noticed if Davey's-Café-au-Lait has come-up with a 'blacklist" for fraudulent ESL teachers (anyone know the answer to this one?) We should bring this up as topic for Patricia Dean over on ESL-School.

If anyone else out there though is in a more liberal positon to speak their mind on this topic, I'm sure we'd all love to hear your tales. Any of you out there know the inside-story? Twisted Evil

Let's see where this one goes, shall we? (but tread carefully all the same!)

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me wants to say that there should be a blacklist of teachers as there is of schools, but another part of me knows that it can't be. Schools can do far more damage than an individual can. There are probably certain laws that would prevent such publication anyway, at least in Canada and the US.

On the local scene, there's an informal network to pass around info on teachers who really shouldn't be hired. MEXTESOL is one such forum and despite Mexico City's large size, many school owners and directors know each other. Problems here don't so much involve teachers simply disappearing, but rather that Mexico can be a hideout for alcoholics and drug addicts. That'll be true of any profession of course, but I've seen it happen a lot here.
Wocca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: The China Situation Reply with quote

A "Foreign Expert's Certificate" & "Foreigner Residence Permit"
(normally one year validity) are usually arranged through the PSB
(Public Security Bureau of the police) by the employer. These
papers, for the most part, are only valid for working in 1 province.

If you go to another province, you have to get a new Foreign
Expert's Certificate issued. If your Residence Permit hasn't
expired, then there is no need to renew it. Before you can get
new papers, it is often required that a "Letter of Release" is
issued by you former employer, stating that there are no
unresolved contractual issues between you.

If someone does a runner, then the employer can advise the
the Sate Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, which has
a "blacklist" of sorts. This would not necessarily preclude
illegitimate employment by any of the many private schools
that don't arrange the correct visas in the first place.

Shocked

In my own experience, people that do runners don't tend to
come back to China anyway ....
brian caulfield

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: runners Reply with quote

South Korea has the most number of runners. Every year I would see about ten . I also noticed that there are a lot of teachers who don't show up for work because they have died ( about one a year) . The Koreans call this fan death .
I have heard of about five deaths in South Korea where noone came for weeks to check on the person. Police would come because of the smell.
Isn't it the nature of all types of employment . The boss can fire you at anytime and you can leave at anytime. It is just better that things get talked out so a smooth transition can be made.
I think it has become more of an issue these days because of the increase number of recruiters in the ESL industry. If someone left in the middle of the nitght they are the one who loses money . Now the recruiters are held responsible for disappearing teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: