ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advertisers - supply full details of advertised positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenny1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Advertisers - supply full details of advertised positions Reply with quote

In all fairness to job applicants, all advertisers should provide:
Starting date
Salary ? monetary amount
Days/Hours employee should work
Length of contract
Paid holidays - monetary amount
Payment ? monetary amount to be received by employee on completion of contract
Air fare - monetary amount to be paid by employer
Health insurance if any ? monetary amount
Any other information job applicant should be aware of
Job applicants are obliged to give job advertisers all relevant information, therefore, job advertisers should, likewise, provide applicants with all relevant information pertaining to the advertised position, without applicants having to ask.
This makes it easier for applicants to decide if the salary and terms and conditions are suitable, before applying for the advertised position and saves the job advertiser the hassle of answering numerous queries from applicants. However, some job advertisers do not have the courtesy to respond to job applicants' queries, and this is really extremely rude and most unacceptable.
________
Atlas CG 125

Last edited by Jenny1 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Job applicants are obliged to give job advertisers all relevant information, therefore, job advertisers should, likewise, provide applicants with all relevant information pertaining to the advertised position, without applicants having to ask.

I totally second that emotion!!

BUt there are a LOT of flakey schools out there around the world, so I don't think much will change. My solution is to mark as 'spam', delete and/ignore anything without enough information.

Also, if I post my resume on any EFL website, I usually add a warning that any incomplete messages will be marked as 'spam'. Razz
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree in principle, but one also has to consider that you're dealing with a foreign culture. As for not answering job applicants' queries, sometimes a school will get thousands of such queries making it impossible to answer them all.

I think a little patience is needed on the part of the job seeker, particularly on starting dates, which can be flexible, and most especially on salary. Not all salaries are fixed, with many up for negotiation and heavily dependent on the applicant's experience. I don't see a one-size fits all solution when we're talking about jobs in dozens of countries here.
kzel81

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: A slight side issue... Reply with quote

This is slightly off topic, but in two instances, I have been appalled by the responses when the school has asked the current foreign teacher to reply to my queries.
These people were currently working as English teachers, yet their responses were badly worded, grammatically incorrect messes. One didn't even contain any punctuation.
I know that people feel the need to be far less formal in emails, but in these two instances, after receiving their replies, I didn't even consider working for the schools.
JWESL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kzel81 - I'm inclined to agree with you. I wouldn't be impressed to receive such poor English in a reply. It raises the question of email standards and how they keep changing. I work in a Community College where the head of English sends out emails in very poor English with no punctuation. Her justification is that communication is more important than form. I wouldn't write off the college on the basis of her personal standards, however. You might not find anywhere to work if you expect too much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: