ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Resume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Your ESL C.V....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serge998

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: ESL Resume Reply with quote

Nick Turvin
Email- Nturvin@ic.sunysb.edu

Objectives: To become an ESL teacher, implementing the NYS standards and
using the methods learned in Stony Brook University.

CERTIFICATION________________________________________________
·
Bachelors in Linguistics with TESOL certification from Stony Brook University.
Received: May 2006

EDUCATION___________________________________________________

Stony Brook University (Grad) 2006- Present
· Stony Brook University 2002-2006
- Major in Linguistics: TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) Program
Cum GPA- 3.40
· Conversa San Jose, Costa Rica May- August 2005
- Intensive Spanish Classes

TEACHING EXPERIENCES________ __ _
· Participated in the Summer In the City Program (I.S. 171): Internship where interns are placed in summer school classrooms where they work with a certified New York City teacher to provide large group and small group instruction to students- July 2006- August 2006
· Student Teaching- Patchogue-Medford High School- March 2006- May 2006
· Student Teaching- Terryville Elementary School- January 2006- March 2006
· Taught ESL in Costa Rica at the Academia de Ingles Atitlan, for an internship (12 credits) through
SUNY Cobleskill (http://www.academiaatitlan.com/ )- May-July 2005
· Volunteered in Eastern Suffolk BOCES teaching ESL Winter Break 2004, Unit: Dinosaurs
· Voluntarily tutoring two international Stony Brook students. Help with papers/H.W. 2004-2005
Results: One student passed Writing 102 after failing in 2003, before having extra help.

EMPLOYMENT_________________________________________________

Neurobiology Lab in Stony Brook, Working as a Research Aide
May 2004-November 2005
Contact- Julie (631) 632-8640

AWARDS & HONORS_____________________________________________________
· Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship
· Dean’s List 2002-2006
· BOCES/NYSED Program for TESOL Teacher Candidates
· Member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars
· Americorps Internship Grant- Completed 300 hours of community service in 2005-2006

COMMUNITY SERVICE_& EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES_____________ _
· Vice President of Miracles in Long Island (Independent Chapter of MCW) 2002-2006
· Member of Community Service Learning Organization at Stony Brook -2002-2006
· The American Cancer Society’s “Relay for Life” event- May 2003-2004, Planning committee
· Summer Service Academy Planning Committee 2004-2006
· AIDS planning committee for AIDS Day- 2004-2005
· Member of LIRSLN (Long Island Regional Service Learning Network) 2004-2006
· Member of the Student Faculty Staff Retreat for Stony Brook- November 2005

SKILLS_____________
· Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint and Internet Navigation.
· Familiar with Microsoft Excel, Conversational Spanish, and basic Japanese.

Last edited by serge998 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great example of a resume/CV by the way. For any new TEFL job seekers, you should use this as a template.
serge998

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That's great to hear.
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Service to Department, Institution and Community Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
This is a great example of a resume/CV . . . new TEFL job seekers, you should use this as a template.

Guy, I agree. I also like the "community service" section of the vita. It suggests to me that this person is likely to be involved in the career for reasons MORE than just trying to find a way to fund a backpack trip around the world.

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoiding CV cliches

by Paul MacKenzie-Cummins,

Acting as your personal advertisement, your CV enables buyers (employers) to see what you can offer and the presentation and structure of your CV is crucial. Unfortunately, too many people follow the tradition of using stock phrases and ‘key’ words that they think will help them stand out from the crowd. Due to this overuse, many recruiters have become immune to certain phrases.

Not making your CV stand out from the crowd can seriously damage your job search chances. Here are the most common cliches and some suggested alternatives.

“Team player” – as it’s unlikely that anyone would claim the opposite, statements like this become meaningless. The most effective way to get your future employers attention is to demonstrate your experience by giving a real-life example. For instance, have you worked within a team to achieve a specific goal? What was your role?

“Project management skills” – this is just a fancy way of saying that you are organised. Employers want to know what you have done in your current job that demonstrates your abilities. Have you organised an event or managed a budget? If so, tell them.

“Results orientated” – …and so you should be. After all, employers are running businesses and they want a return on their investment in you. Convey and quantify your accomplishments and your potential to solve your future employer’s problems. Did you increase sales? If so, by how much? Did you save money for your organisation? Did you achieve your targets in the face of difficult circumstances?

“People management skills” – does that mean that you were a Manager or simply that you got on well with your customers and colleagues? ‘Management’ implies that you held a position of responsibility over other staff and can confuse employers. So, opt for words such as ‘supervised’ or coordinated’ instead.

“Responsible for” – everybody is responsible for something in their job. And, just because you are responsible for something does not necessarily make you a responsible person. Did you take on duties that were not part of your job spec? Did you train staff or suggest/introduce a new initiative? Did you rescue a failing project and turn it around?

For those of us old enough to remember Max Bygraves who famously said “I want to tell you a story”, that is exactly what you need to do on your CV – tell recruiters your career story and answer the main question in their minds, ‘What can this person do for my business?’

When writing your CV, bear in mind the role that you applying and tailor it accordingly by focusing on providing evidence relevant to the position that will support your application.

By using examples of past experience you will put yourself in a stronger position and stand out from your peers. So, bin the jargon and clichés and get personal.

Writing a winning CV can be a challenge, but by putting in the mileage you will have a document that will make employers take action and invite you for an interview. Then the real selling begins!
yupmarks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: ESL Resume Reply with quote

The demand for a competent ESL teacher is on rise day by day. No matter what other teaching experience you have, putting a relevant experience with educational background.

And it's linguistic skills is absolutely necessary for meeting the criterion for an ESL teacher.In a sample ESL teacher resume,irrelevant work experiences should be omitted.
Markchase07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Good CV Reply with quote

You CV looks really good and gives a complete info about you. The alignment is better is word I guess. Anyways, good one!
nancywilliams

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may notice that free resume examples always use just one common font, like Times New Roman, Arial, or Palatino, the common font types utilized in business writing.
Here some cv examples..it might be helpful. http://www.cvexamples.net/
david.hepworth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: GENERAL INFO Reply with quote

Hi there. My name is Dave and I've been receiving your ESLemployment letter now for a good few years but over the last 12 months I have noticed many jobs coming on that seem or are spams or cons therefore, would you be able to help me find out if they are legit or not please...
david.hepworth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: CV FEEDBACK Reply with quote

Here is a copy of my CV that I have been using for the past 5 years. I guess there's a lot of you with much more experience than I have. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Curriculum Vitae

Mr. David Hepworth
(address and contact info normally goes here)

Personal Profile

I consider myself to be a hard working, reliable and trustworthy individual with an adaptable and flexible approach. I have proven ability to work on my own initiative or as part of a team, and am able to quickly and efficiently learn new systems and procedures. Currently seeking a position where I can fully utilise my skills, abilities and experience gained to date. I have taught many different types of learners throughout my career such as; basic skills and young learners which have been as young as 5 years old. I have also taught adult learners from various backgrounds such as; professionals and university students.

Key Work Skills

Excellent spoken and written communication skills as well as figure work
Good organizational skills and problem solving ability
Good management skills
Able to prioritize workloads – good time management skills
Computer literate (Word processing, database, spreadsheet, graphs/charts, presentation graphics, internet, e-mail)
Able to adapt quickly to any given working environment
Able to maintain a good sense of humour whilst working under pressure

Education

Cradley High School – 7 GCSEs including English Language (A-), ICT (A*), Geography (A*), Mathematics (B), Science (C)
NVQ level 2 Barbering
Completed Portable Appliance Test (PAT) course
City and Guilds – Computer Engineer
ONC level 2 Computer Hardware Practical
ONC level 2 PC Development
ONC level 2 Computer Hardware
ONC level 2 Introduction to MS-DOS
BA in Education
TEFL Certification
TOEFL training - Florida Atlantic University
TESOL - Diploma
Business English Certification (BEC)

Work Experience & Employment Record

British Academy. Oct 2009 –Jan 2011
Owner / Academic Director
English Teacher

Wrote various English courses/programs for my own company such as; beginner, intermediate and advanced. And also courses/programs for professionals.
Passed on accurate messages via email and/or verbally to other parties
Organized schedules for students and teachers.
Aided the advertisement department.
Designed quizzes, exams, and helpful worksheets for students.
Authorized University of Michigan examiner and proctor
Taught lower levels at the British Academy and also, PET, Michigan, TOEFL and ECAES preparation.

Universidad Del Magdalena Sept 2008 – Dec 2008
English teacher
Language center

Taught advanced levels of English
Prepared students for Michigan and the Preliminary English Test (PET)
Designed quizzes, exams, and helpful worksheets for students.

Universidad Sergio Arboleda – Santa Marta Nov 2006 – Sept 2009
Director/Coordinator /
English Teacher
Language Department

Wrote various English courses/programs for the language department at the Sergio Arboleda, such as; beginner, intermediate and advanced. And also courses/programs for business English.
Organized schedules for students and teachers.
Taught many levels at the university from beginner to advanced and also Michigan, TOEFL and ECAES preparation.
Designed quizzes, exams, and helpful worksheets for both teachers and students.
Taught Business English off campus at various international companies such as Drummond, ASBAMA and DOLE.
Authorized Michigan University examiner and proctor

Colegio Bilingüe de Santa Marta Aug 2005 – June 2006
First grade teacher

First grade English, computer and social studies teacher, as well as a home room assistant.

Private English Tutor March 2005 –July 2011

Teaching all areas of English; reading, writing, speaking and grammar to all levels of students from; low beginner to high advanced and even professionals

Centro Colombo Americano July 2005 – Feb 2010

High intermediate to advanced English teacher.

DUDLEY M.B.COUNCIL 01 Jan 2002– Dec 2004
Brierley Hill Technical Support Engineer/Tutor

Welcomed visitors and students, introduced new clients to courses whilst explaining a high level of health and safety policies and procedures, including fire procedures.
Passing on accurate messages via e-mail and/or verbally
Be aware of office/building security
Designated clients to the right course and work modules
Built and maintained donation computer’s for various organisations
Taught various computer courses to students
Trained as an engineer tutor, and a basic skills English Tutor
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: ALARM BELLS Reply with quote

Hello David.Hepworth

Welcome to the forum.

Do not believe anything you read, without evidence.

1. Alarm bells should ring if the advertisement only contains a mobile phone number and no postal or website address. If there is a postal address, use Google maps to check that it exists as a school or business.

2. Compare the email address and telephone numbers, in the advertisement, with their website. The scammers often borrow details from genuine schools but use their own email address and telephone numbers.

3. Always contact the school via their website address to verify if the advertisement is genuine.

4. In all cases, do not send original documents and never send them money.

5. Do not leave your present job until you have signed a contract and have the flight tickets and visa in your hand.

Incidentally, what job do you want?

UJ
CindyBros

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: DELETED Reply with quote

Post deleted. Advertising is not allowed on the forum UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Your ESL C.V.... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: