ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Being a Red Herring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liu_wan_shan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Being a Red Herring Reply with quote

Hello.
I once read a person saying that she was a red herring and that beggars can't be choosers. I don't quite understand about the herring part (is it a kind of fish?) but I took it to mean that she felt she didn't belong. Anyway, I find myself now in that same situation working in the ESL field.
I am a Filipino-Chinese (Fil-Chi) - that is, a Fil. citizen with Chi. blood. That's my greatest hurdle in the field. My sad experience in China was that though I was hired despite being a Fil. (not white native speaker), I was treated like a local native because I looked like one. In a nutshell, my duties as an ESL teacher in China comprised of fetching and sending students and reminding them to drink water, eat quickly, etc. Teaching English subjects was "those foreigners who look like foreigners" job.
Now, I am stranded in China (pre-terminated contract; no return plane ticket) and remain jobless because almost all schools look for native white speakers. The small amount I have saved is now almost gone. Beggars can't be choosers... should I accept a nanny's job and just forget the fact that ESL meant TEACHING ENGLISH as a Second language?
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: ESL Teachers Reply with quote

Hello Liu Wan Shan

I sympathise with you and your situation because I have known many filipinas in a similar situation to yourself.

Yes, you have to take any job in order to survive. That's the most important thing and then, keep looking for a job where you can use your ESL skills.

Do you speak Chinese? If you do, then you would be able to assist an ESL native speaker by translating for the students. At the very least, you will still be involved in teaching English.

UJ
Curica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liu Wan Shan,

When I read your posting, I felt terrible knowing your predicament not only because I am also an ESL teacher but being a Filipina like you. Presently, I am teaching in Croatia. Since you said that your contract was preterminated and you are presently jobless contemplating to accept a "baby sitting job", I guess that would be better than nothing at all. Although I believe that you wouldn't stay in that job for a longer time ifever you consider that. In the meantime, maybe you can do some sideline tutoring job to augment your income. I wish I could help you. This thing about accepting "native speakers" only is really very discriminating. Schools do not realize that not all native speakers can teach effectively, they may know how to speak English but that doesn't follow that they know how to teach. ( I mean effectively.)

Email me: curica41@yahoo.com

Curica
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Moved from "When the ad says 'native speakers only'. Reply with quote

liu_wan_shan

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:43 am Post subject: Getting On

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A HUGE thanks to ESL Forum!

I now feel empowered to get on with my job search. Honestly, I had been greatly discouraged upon seeing almost all ads with "native speakers only" and receiving no replies from my numerous applications. I was thinking that maybe ESL is really meant for those few races only.
Now, I know that I too can succeed in this field if I just persevere enough. If other non-native speakers can teach and remain in the field for more than a decade, why can't I? It's just a matter of proving that my English is not inferior to that of natives. Also, there are many resources available for me to improve and polish my skills further.
Thanks a lot, fellows!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: