ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Promotions possible for ESL Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Baltic States, C. & E. Europe...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicmajenta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Promotions possible for ESL Teachers Reply with quote

Just wondering if one works in Eastern Europe if promotion is possible so that eventually you can afford a small place of your own like a condo or something and permanently work and live in the region. Just a thought. I'm interested in how far you can take your ESL English teaching Certificate and skills.
Lexicon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to move up the ladder to a Teacher Trainer or Director fo Studies position, but not with just an ESL Certificate.

Those are really for people with no academic training in the field and are meant to give beginners the very very least they need to get started.

If you want to move up and make a liveable wage you'll need to get at least a BA degree in either English or Linguistics and most probably an MA. Just check the job postings and see what they ask for.

The other thing is this: the amount of money you make will always be determined by the economy of the region, and the availability of other English teachers.

So if you live in Prague, Berlin, or Moscow, you'll probably never make enough to live like you want. But if you find a place where the pay is decent and the cost of livings isn't so high you'll be better off. Poland is probably still the best place in the region, although the pay is actually lower now than a few years ago.

So yeah, it's possible eventually, but you'll be poor for long while, need to get a degree or two, and find the right place to live.

Good Luck

lexicon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Eastern Europe Reply with quote

I agree, the wages in the Eastern Bloc are low but so too is the cost of living and therefore, you will have enough to live on but you wil never be rich.

However, the best thing is to take your money from the UK or the USA into these regions and it will go very much further. You can buy a nice house and car and live comfortably on the low wages from your teaching.

I can recommend Slovakia, simply because I've been there.

UJ
magicmajenta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BA in Political Science. Is it still possible to go to graduate school and get a Masters in Education. And if that is so then will these schools in these countries consider me a serious candidate to move up the ladder and hopefully eventually live in Europe?
claudia_de_tlaxcala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicmajenta
I had a BA in psychology and got my MA in education (Central Michigan University). It helped. I now get paid pretty well...more than I did back home to be honest. I may have been lucky because I hear this isn't the usual case. I got a job with an excellent university that is willing to pay a native speaker with a Master's degree. Good luck!
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: From Political Science to Education Reply with quote

magicmajenta wrote:
I have a BA in Political Science. Is it still possible to go to graduate school and get a Masters in Education.

Magicmajenta,

With regards to your concerns to move from the field of political science at the bachelors level to education at the masters level:

There are several good masters programs in the United States designed specifically to qualify those from fields other than education for teaching careers in the public school system. For example, one of my alma maters, Spring Hill College, offers the M.A.T. degree (Masters of Arts in Teaching). It is, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to the M.Ed (Masters of Education) in that it qualifies one for the same jobs upon graduation.

According to my own understanding, the M.A.T. programs are designed to bring non-education major Bachelors degrees up to speed in contemporary teaching methodology. This is NOT my field so maybe some forum poster out there would like to contribute dialogue on this subject (or correct my information if it is incorrect).

In any case, it IS possible to change academic disciplines from the bachelor's level to the masters level. I myself have "switched" disciplines thrice on all three levels: bachelors, masters, and doctoral (although none of them were in education). Look around for M.A.T. degrees, this might be your solution.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do,

Best,

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com

Last edited by Lee Hobbs on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
magicmajenta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, see this program got me interested http://www.usc.edu/dept/education/academic/masters/academic_masters_tesol.htm

It's specific to the ESL field. So it really is a Graduate degree designed to teach overseas. That's the one I was thinking of when I was contemplating about school giving a promotion.
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: MA in TESOL at the Indiana U of PA Reply with quote

magicmajenta wrote:
It's specific to the ESL field. So it really is a Graduate degree designed to teach overseas.

Magicmajenta,

My current institution also offers this same degree [MA TESOL] which is very well respected in the field, both in the U.S. and abroad. See:

http://www.english.iup.edu/graduate/ma-tesol/default.htm

Whether or not this program will accept your B.A. in Political Science as a sufficient prerequisite for application is another matter and one that you will certainly need to telephone these various institutions for to find out specifically before you begin the application process.

Remember, a program with the tag "to speakers of other languages" does not mean it is necessarily geared for preparing you teach overseas. The TESOL education field is huge in the U.S., Canada and U.K. just to name a few places on the planet. In other words, folks degreed at various levels of TESOL frequently remain in their native/countries of origin to teach "ESOL" to non-English-speaking learners in their own respective educational systems (think: Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, etc.)

Again, good luck and let us know what direction you go from here.

Best,

Lee
http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in the Baltic States, C. & E. Europe... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: