ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age discrimination in hiring?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does Age Discrimination Exist in the Overseas EFL / ESL Industry?
No. It's An Age-Blind World Out There. With Age Comes Wisdom.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Yes. If You're In Your 40's You've Reached the Maximum Life Span For Some Countries.
83%
 83%  [ 40 ]
Don't Know. I've Never Heard Of This Problem.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 48

ridgerunner6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Age discrimination in hiring? Reply with quote

I am a highly experienced ESL pro and am having problems finding work due to age discrimination. What is the situation like in the ROK? Is there an unofficial age ceiling for teachers?
Thanks for any input.
canuckophile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Age Discrimination in Korea Reply with quote

Yes, there is age discrimination in Korea. If your resume is strong, you will eventually find a job, but you may wait quite a while.
PittsburghPete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Age discrimination in hiring? Reply with quote

like there ain't discrimination anywhere you go holmes. you think that's not a factor 'unofficially' in the UK or the US? don't matter what those old forms say. they take one look at you and come up with something like "your overqualified sir" Mad

ridgerunner6 wrote:
Is there an unofficial age ceiling for teachers?

my guess is if you look like your not in your twenties, you'll be hard pressed to find work. especially if you look like the bearded gent over on this post (see the picture at the bottom):

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=372&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

My advice? shave and leave the tie at home for the interview. learn some hip hop words.

"You might be a redneck if you spent more money on your pickup truck than on your education." --Joe Foxworthy.
canuckophile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Korea age discrimination Reply with quote

Koreans are gravitating toward hiring mostly women - my school refuses to hire young men because of various recent scandals plus what they've heard from other schools about the young men they've hired. However, they prefer younger women over older women - 30's is not a problem - 40 plus tends to be a problem. Older men have not had as much problem getting hired in the past - not sure if the "younger men" scandals have affected them too. Again, you'll just have to apply for more jobs. My impression is that universities are better - want a more diverse teachers' group.
ullimeng

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Korea age discrimination Reply with quote

canuckophile wrote:
Koreans are gravitating toward hiring mostly women - my school refuses to hire young men because of various recent scandals plus what they've heard from other schools about the young men they've hired. However, they prefer younger women over older women - 30's is not a problem - 40 plus tends to be a problem. Older men have not had as much problem getting hired in the past - not sure if the "younger men" scandals have affected them too. Again, you'll just have to apply for more jobs. My impression is that universities are better - want a more diverse teachers' group.

While it is true that there is some age discrimination in Korea ( and probably elsewhere), I did not experience it personally. I am a qualified teacher and posted my resume on several major EFL sites (following the advice I got on this forum). I am 51 years old, female, with a 1yr postgraduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics from a major Canadian University. I got hired 3 weeks after posting my CV. Many Canadian recruiting sites I visited had a little line somewhere, mentioning that if the applicant is over 40, they would experience problems. I almost got discouraged then, but obviously, things are not as bad as they appear. Smile
susanmholman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: age and nationality descrimination worldwide Reply with quote

I was a single mom for many years. I decided that once both my kids were in college, I'd start my amazing career as an EFL teacher. Little did I know the descrimination I'd face. The school I chose said that it was easy for an American to get a job in Italy. American English, afterall, is rapidly becoming the 'world' language. Wrong! You have to have EU working papers to be employed in the EU. The Catch-22 is that you have to be employed in the EU before you can get EU working papers. The other item no one ever happened to mention is the age factor. I'm continuously told that I don't look my age and I have my photo on my cv (but not my birthdate.) I've had several offers from schools around the world until they saw the date on my passport, never to be heard from again. I'm only 47, but you'd think I was 100. Whatever happened to wisdom that comes with experience.Crying or Very sad
IWearHighWaters

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age discrimination occurs everywhere...when was the last time you heard about someone getting a job because they were the oldest candidate?

IWHW
alisonboston

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: age and nationality descrimination worldwide Reply with quote

susanmholman wrote:
... You have to have EU working papers to be employed in the EU. The Catch-22 is that you have to be employed in the EU before you can get EU working papers. ... Whatever happened to wisdom that comes with experience.Crying or Very sad

Well, if you aren't a U.S. citizen you need a green card to work in the States and try getting one of those without a job! You have to win a lottery, and not be born in Canada or the U.K. -among other countries - So I wouldn't complain about the EU working papers if I were you. Laughing

I don't think about age as a disriminatory factor in teaching, but then I go out and find my own students most of the time. I don't look my age either [ at least I didn't before I started to teach english but after four years living in a polluted environment I think I look at the very least 10 years older than I did when I arrived!

If you want to work in Europe, why don't you try Poland or Hungary or the Czech Republic? Not as sexy as Italy and Spain, but lots of work - and they'll take just about anybody willing to put up with them

Laughing
Wocca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Age Discrmination In China Reply with quote

I teach at a government university in China.

In respect to teacher ages, there tends to
be three specific categories as follows ...

Surprised Young (under 30)

Idea "Mid" age (30 - 55)

Rolling Eyes Old (over 55)

The ages given above are general guidelines
only. Individual "wear and tear" would also be
taken into consideration.

There seems to be a distinct preference for
"mid" age foreign teachers in China. Could
be associated with maturity, life experience
and stability.

Is this the same in other countries ?
alisonboston

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great avatar!!!

Tell me about that please. Smile

As for age...I think I could say the same thing for Hungary. Mid age - thirties plus seem to be preferred here. That may be because the money is so bad, they are delighted that anyone over 19 would be willing to work for so little.
(I am being a tad sarcastic.)

I am in the middle years and I know I am in demand - and could do way more work than I have hours or inclination to do - providing I am willing to work for the money they wantt o pay - and there's the rub.

I feel my maturity and experience place me in a higher wage category than a younger teacher - yet I have to fight for that - and walk away from a lot of jobs because the schools don't get that they can get more for my services than a younger teacher.

Or they don't want to try to get more...

I would love to learn more about how things work with teachers in China.

I am dashing off now to some workshops here - music actually - but this is a topic of interest to me, so hope we can dialogue more early next week.

And please - tell me about that avatar!

Alison
Wocca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Hi Alison ... Reply with quote

alisonboston wrote:
" ... Wow, what a great avatar!!! ... Tell me about that please ..."

I'm in the process of writing about

Arrow . SANXINGDUI ANCIENT RUINS

The avatar is a picture I took of an artefact
from the Shang Dynasty, unearthed in 1986
from the sacrificial Pit #2 of the Sanxingdui
site in Sichuan Province,40kms from where
I am based in Chengdu, south west China ...

This other one is also rather funky . Shocked

Last edited by Wocca on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wocca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: ... IN THE MEANTIME ... Reply with quote

alisonboston wrote:
"... I would love to learn more about how things work with teachers in China ..."

Arrow . CLICK HERE FOR SOME TEACHING STUFF . 8)
lisa luchsinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Age discrimination in ESL Reply with quote

I was let go from my job last year at age 45, I was not given any reason for it, and found out that they had hired a new college graduate in her 20s to replace me. The students were upset and worried about losing me and getting someone with so little experience. I have been job searching for over a year now with absolutely no results. People tell me I don't look my age (I look younger), but, once the administration sees my resume and graduation dates, I think it is all over. How do we find a job at this age when we are trying to pay for our own children's tuitions? Crying or Very sad
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: All Girls School Reply with quote

Hello Lisa

Welcome to the forum

I would suggest that you teach in an all girls school, where blonde hair, blue eyes and age are not so important to the head teacher, who, more than likely, will not be a male.

You don't say where you were teaching but there are many single sex schools all over the world, advertising right now for teachers.

So start writing and don't give up.

UJ
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Is it worthwhile to get into TESL at 57? Reply with quote

ridgerunner6 wrote:
I am a highly experienced ESL pro and am having problems finding work due to age discrimination. What is the situation like in the ROK? Is there an unofficial age ceiling for teachers?
Thanks for any input.

Readers,

This is a question from "Lisa," who emailed me first, who has the same question. If anyone can help her out, that would be great! (Lee)

Lisa wrote:
I just couldn't find any information on your website regarding age restrictions/limitations for TESL.
Now 57 and approaching that time of my life when i would love to travel and soak up the culture while at the same time earning my way, would you be able to comment on the obstacles I may face getting a job as a TESL teacher. I have a degree, worked in corporate world all my life and plan to take a CELTA course. Would it be worthwhile?

thanks for your feedback
Much appreciated
Lisa

By the way, Lisa, please also see the discussion about teaching ESL over 50 at this thread:

http://www.esl-jobs-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=64&sid=33a37f7314ce1eaf8fcdb44dcabe15a1

Good luck,

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: