ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age discrimination in hiring?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does Age Discrimination Exist in the Overseas EFL / ESL Industry?
No. It's An Age-Blind World Out There. With Age Comes Wisdom.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Yes. If You're In Your 40's You've Reached the Maximum Life Span For Some Countries.
83%
 83%  [ 40 ]
Don't Know. I've Never Heard Of This Problem.
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 48

markc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age discrimination certainly exists, and it's hard for a teacher over 40 to find work; although many do. If you plan to stay in TEFL for the long run, get a DELTA, or better still an MA TESOL, as Luke mentioned above. Some schools prefer teachers in their 30's and 40's, usually when the boss if of a similar age and still teaches, or just recognizes the value of experienced teachers. Teaching in a university could be a good option for teachers over 40.

The only good thing about all of this, is that most of the places that would not consider hiring an older teacher, are often the kind of places that are not worth working for anyway.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father just visited Japan for 3 weeks, and I offered many of my students to have lessons taught by him instead of me.
They nearly all wanted him to guest-teach, those who didn't were clearly saying no because they were shy/timid/scared of another foreigner.
Every student that he taught asked to have him come back the next week.

This really makes me wonder how the age discrimination thing works...

edit: he's nearly 60
markc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of it is in the minds of (some) employers. I also think many managers want younger staff as it's easier for them to manage younger people - or they feel that it is.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, I'd always associated it with the students.
I mean I thought the employers were hiring based on what their customers would want most.

I wonder if it's true that younger ones are easier to manage lol, I was pretty unpredictable! Smile
markc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's both. Some students do want younger teachers, just like some want blond ones, or beautiful ones. I know that many employers try to guess what the students want. However, I've met employers who have told me directly that at 40, people lose their energy and become boring. It's a strange attitude; not at all based on reality. What can I say? Confused

I don't think any of the prejudices that exist, are really based on intelligent reasoning.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if I'd been teaching for 20 years then at 40 I'd lose my pep, but that's nothing a vacation doesn't solve lol.

I wonder if energy or skill is more important for student retention.
DerFish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Is there age discrimination? Reply with quote

I have a newly minted TESOL certificate. There were jobs being offered in the country of Georgia. They plainly stated that they were not accepting applications from people over 60. Knocked me out of the running.
ALSO I tried to vote in this poll and couldn't figure out how. Rolling Eyes
nanettemoseley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: age discrimination Reply with quote

o.k. Here's a part of the scoop anyway. After a "certain age" health insurance becomes harder to get, or more expensive, that's a big part of the age discrimination thing. I have a few friends over 63 and they all have their own health insurance, or travel insurance.
I did have one man in South Korea tell me that South Koreans preferred blond, blue eyed and young, over experienced any time, and a Chinese recruiter said it would be harder to place me because of my age.
On the other hand, my students love me and I am going to try to just go someplace and get hired on the spot. That will give me some experience, which will count for something.
RoseV8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Over the hill? Reply with quote

In China you can not get a Z ( work) visa if you are over the age of 60. This probably applies in other countries and may account for what appears to be age discrimination.There are of course ways around this sort of law if the school is prepared to take the time and trouble.
Private schools in China tend to try to please parents to a ridiculous degree.This is because many are operating on such a shoestring that if one displeased parent withdraws their child others will probably follow. The loss of just a few students can mean financial ruin for these places.
If a child's teacher is 45 and balding, it doesn't matter how good he is or how many degrees he has, parent's will quickly move their child if an opposition school offers a blonde teenage backpacker with no qualifications. In China, at least in private schools, it is all about appearance. Some job agents openly state that they will not deal with coloured teachers. So it is not just the aged who are discriminated against.
playasgringo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Age Discrimination...Although I am Much Older Reply with quote

Strange, I do not consider myself "old." I have been looking forward to receiving Medicare next month when I turn 65. I am full of energy and I love to teach. I have excellent references and a strong background in education along with my Master's Degree in education.

Make no mistake about it...the companies and schools I have contacted are very blunt in stating they do not hire anyone older than 60, 55, and a few stated younger ages.

I have received one job offer in China. I am still reviewing this offer.

I have a question: are there specific countries that look at, and appreciate, the years of experience? Is there a place, aside from China, that will consider hiring an older teacher?

Thanks to anyone who might answer my question.

Jack
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm returning to this thread after having done about 30 interviews, as the interviewer, for a teaching position I was offering.

I'm not generalizing here, but the few older applicants, despite having great experience, were so incredibly boring to talk to.
Being interesting is often overlooked when it comes to qualifications/requirements.
playasgringo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: AGEEEEEE Reply with quote

Thanks, James,

I appreciate your input and I understand what you are saying.

I always keep that thought in the back of my mind...although I have not reached the point of an oral interview.

However, although it might not be the most exciting...I have been offered two different jobs in China. I am definitely going to accept one of them.

Take care,

Jack
astroboy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Old AND boring? Deadly combination. Reply with quote

I'm assuming that older applicants have enjoyed a tenure system where time spent on the job was the coin of the realm. Have they forgotten that they are not only teachers but co-workers? I'm in my early 50s but with a military background. In the military it is all about training/educating the younger Soldiers. Anyone who gets tired of that is caught up in the "up or out" promotion system and moves to the next stage in their life.

Love hearing your ideas as owner and school administrator and reading your posts. I'll suck up since I never intend to teach in Japan (too cold).

Thanks
RoseV8

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Define boring. Reply with quote

Surely we all find different things boring and it has nothing to do with age but more to do with our own personal interests.

I am bored to tears with people who waffle on about sport or celebrity gossip yet a lot of people of all ages find those topics interesting.
astroboy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Enthuse me Reply with quote

I've heard some people who are so enthusiastic they can make poetry interesting!! These people bring an energy to their subject that powers the whole room. It isn't the content but the delivery that refuses to allow the merest hint of boredom into the conversation.

Also, my job is to find out what the school needs and fill that need. If someone wants to talk sports then I'm all about sports. Job seekers do themselves a favor when they think like the interviewer: how can I help this person across the table from me and how can I communicate that I can help?

Basic concept but the focus is too often what can this job do for ME?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: