ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need advice on ESL materials!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Books...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: I need advice on ESL materials! Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a part-time ESL tutor who has been tutoring the same student for a little over a year now. She is a Japanese woman in her early-forties whose grasp of English pronunciation and grammar is fairly good, like around advanced beginner/intermediate. For the first 6 months we just worked on improving her pronunciation, using a book aptly entitled "English Pronunciation Exercises for Japanese Students" (I can't remember the author's name). Since then, we have been working more and more on improving her grammar. The problem is that I have no grand strategy, or game plan, for achieving this goal other than to bounce from one grammar area to the next, using various exercises that I have printed off the internet. For a few weeks we will work on prepositions, followed by gerunds and infinitives, then maybe some work with different verb tenses, etc.
Anyway, to make a long story short, can anyone recommend a good book for teaching the fundamentals of Enlish grammar to a student at the "advanced beginner/intermediate" level? (Ideally one that has lots of exercises too so I don't have to spend a long time tracking down appropriate exercises on the internet!).
I would very much appreciate any suggestions you may have!
Sincerely,
Matt
Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: ESL Matl's Reply with quote

Hi!

I would recommend Diane Larsen-Freeman's Platinum series, book 4, available from Heinle Thomson publishing. It's loaded with exercises, and embodies a sound pedagogical approach to presenting grammar. Also, The Grammar Book (by Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman) is an excellent resource for instructors looking for ideas about how to teach grammar.
I'm reviewing and using both texts in my Structure of English class this semester. The insights they provide into grammar are incredible when I think about what I was taught in grade school. Shocked

Best,
Aaron
Edda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I would recommend Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use" series.

Best,
Edda
________
volcano classic review

Last edited by Edda on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: (At Least) 3 Awesome ESL Resources for Teaching Grammar Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
. . . we just worked on improving her pronunciation, using a book aptly entitled "English Pronunciation Exercises for Japanese Students" . . .

Aaron wrote:
. . . I would recommend Diane Larsen-Freeman's Platinum series, book 4, available from Heinle Thomson publishing [and] The Grammar Book (by Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman) . . .

Edda wrote:
I would recommend Raymond Murphy's "English Grammar in Use"

Matt and other ESL Resource Shoppers,

You can get more detailed information about the wonderful ESL teaching resources suggested by our friends Edda and Aaron here:

Murphy, Raymond. English Grammar in Use.

AND

Larson-Freeman, Diane, [Series Director]. Authors: Jan Frodesen and Janet Eyring. Grammar Dimensions. Platinum Edition #4.

AND

Murcia, Celce and Diane Larsen-Freeman. The Grammar Book.

And, of course, your own book which is authored by Harriette Gordon Grate

Grate, Harriette Gordon. English Pronunciation Exercises for Japanese Students.

Let us know if you find these resources as useful as we did!

Best,

Lee

http://www.english-blog.com

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
bilinguallearner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation for English Grammar and Use- it is an awesome resource!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Recommended ESL Books... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: