ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native-like speaker looking for ESL jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Native-like speaker looking for ESL jobs Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone tell me how I can land an ESL job especially when most
prospective employers and recruiters are only interested in NATIVE
speakers of English? I speak, read and write only English and speak with a
near-native English accent. I have a B.A. Education major in TESL and will have 5 years' teaching experience by October and am currently teaching ESL at the secondary level in an ethnic Chinese school in Brunei. I'm not white!!

Thanks! Smile
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: non native speaker Reply with quote

Jamie

The following may give you a little more insight into your query

http://www.eslemployment.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78

http://www.eslemployment.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56

UJ
Ella

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances are very slim. But don't worry too much, I am blond and so called 'white', with 9 years of TESOL experience at different levels and even a Masters degree (TESOL). The chances are slim for me as well; only because I am not a native speaker.
btownsend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Native-like speaker Reply with quote

Hello Jamie,

I need some clarification before I can make any suggestions. You say you speak ONLY English. If English is your first language then you are a native speaker. Perhaps the discrimination you fear is ethnic or racial and not to do with your mother tongue. Can you explain your language background a little more to clarify this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: