ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kingstonmae international school greece-a scam!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newby1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I also received a letter of interest and sadly I believed it (the things one will believe when looking for a job) I spoke to other people that were teaching overseas and they told me the procedure was similar to what they had gone through.

I ran a google search and at the time I found nothing that said this was a scam, the website looked legit ...and I went ahead

Now, I didn't receive a reply (they didn't even ask for money or anything...have not sent me anything at all) what worries me is that those people have my documents....What are we supposed to do????? Who are we supposed to inform? Anyone have any idea?
Tina Claudia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Misuse of personal information/scams Reply with quote

Hi Newby1 and all other job seekers,
I recently had the same problem after I applied to "Sovion International School Athens", evidently a "branch" of Kingstonmae. I am also worried about all the information I volunteered, but I would guess that these people are "only" interested in the money - the solution to this problem is easy: never send any. As far as our data is concerned - I don't even want to begin thinking about all the possibilities of misuse...
Unfortunately we are always in the position of having to submit our personal information to - more or less - unknown recipients. I have sent a number of internet applications in the past few years and am always worried about having all my personal information scattered around the world. I recently received an email from a job website "welcoming" me as a member - I had never heard of the site. I was listed there as a "job seeker", with my address, phone number, qualifications, education etc. etc. To top it off, they had written a lot of wrong information, e.g. that I had a Master in Farsi (whereas I have a Master in Arabic and English) and had finished school in 2003 (I wish!). I have no idea where they got the infos, gathered something off the web I guess. Naturally I tried to delete the data, but that didn't work.
Especially in the age of internet applications we are all facing the same problem: We (have to) trust potential employers, send our CVs with our life story and risk being exploited in some way. Maybe it would be a good idea, when applying, to send first-contact CVs without address, phone numbers, dates of birth etc., just giving an email address until we can, to some extent, establish that the potential employer is serious. Of course, this would not be in conformity with CV standards and might lead to our applications being discarded due to formal aspects without regard to our qualifications.
Maybe some of the employers in the forum can give us some ideas how to protect our data...
Regards,
Tina
419terminator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: internet crimes unit Reply with quote

One thing you can do that may save future job seekers from being victimized, is to post all relevant information about the scumbags, i.e., the mobile phone number they gave you as a contact telephone no.

While the phone no. is probably either stolen or a no-contract phone and is likely disconnected and disposed of, it may provide sufficient clue to the police to start an investigation. I will gladly forward all relevant info to the internet crimes unit of the Greek police. I am puzzled, however, that no one comes forward with ths information.
younome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: scam!!! Reply with quote

Dear all,

I received the same offer and I sent them my CV and the copy of my passport. I am afraid of what they might do with my private information. Have you done anything about that?

I searched for the names of the teachers that appear on their site and guess what I found? Those teachers do exist, but they teach at a small American school in Rotterdam. I sent them an e-mail to warn them about that, but I haven't received any news from them. I guess they're scared too.

Please let me know what you've done to protect your personal info from these people.

Best wishes!
nana30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: What to do?! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I simply cannot stop thinking about this Kingston Mae scam and how those scumbags cold misuse the information I have sent to them. I did call credit biros but they said they are not able to do anything to prevent a scam. So the truth is you have to be a victim first.....how stupid is that?! I am really afraid of the indentity theft..imagine they can order credit cards, take loans and all that in my name.
However I did email the phone busters and told them everything about this scam. Everyone who got scammed should email or call them and tell them everything you know. www.recol.ca
It won't hurt to try. After you submit your story it will be distributed to the Police. At least they will be aware that this is happening.

Nana
419terminator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: How do you know whether it is a scam? It is simple! Reply with quote

How do you know whether a school is legitimate? It is simple, really.

It is a scam if any of the following is true, and definitely a scam if ALL of the following are true:

• The school's website TLD is .com as opposed to .edu

• The contact email addresses are not the school domain's, but yahoo, gmail or hotmail ones

• The contact phone number is a mobile number

• There are excessive typos in the communication you are receiving (come on now, people, you are supposed to be ESL teachers–that's very easy to spot!

• There is the slightest whiff of Nigeria/Nigerians in the entire deal, i.e. the name of the Director of Admissions is a Nigerian muslim name, such as MAKAREM

• The address of the school is not written the way locals write it

• The very name of the school is totally foreign to the purported country of origin (Kingston Mae in... Greece? I'd expect a Greek name, not a Jamaican one here)

In the specific example under discussion, ALL of the above were true.
etrose

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: greek ESL scams Reply with quote

I responded to a job posting here on eslemployment's website for a live-in ESL tutor for a family in ermopoulis,greece last week. i was contacted by someone who claimed they would review my cv and decide if they wanted to hire me for the position. Less than 24 hrs later, and without an interview i was offered the position at 3500euros/month to teach a father,wife and their son, 5days a week. attached was a vague employment contract for 6-12 months, with few to no stipulations and a link to an email address that supposedly belonged to his lawyer. after the father offered me the job, i emailed him 2x requesting specific info regarding the contract and requesting a phone interview with him (imagine the employee requesting an interview) and no response. finally fed up i insisted on having the questions answered. he called me out of the blue at 9pm at night, spoke to me for 5 min, and simply repeated what was stated on the contract, completely ignoring my previous questions.i was sent a visa application form (that the greek embassy here in tunis verified as fraudulent) and a document outlining greek employment law from his lawyer (the greek embassy also verified as fraudulent) that stated that after completing the required greek type 'd' visa, i would need to provide proof of ability to support while in greece to be transferred to the lawyer via western union for 913euro). Proof of ability to support oneself is only a requirement for persons opting to live in Greece while deriving an income from sources/employers outside Greece, and that that amount is 2,000euros provided through a tax stamp or other certified means , not a 913 euros through western union transfer slip for documentation. To work here legally, a contract must be sent and approved by the labor ministry to import a worker (proving there isn’t a single EU citizen in Greece to fill the position), then a visa sent through the embassy.
So,the entire thing is bogus, and the call was obviously intended to inspire my confidence, as he seemed to sense that i wasn't fully buying it all. this is obviously a scam, be weary. if you received an email from Basileus Damon (nikon1823 at gmail) or Bar Cornileus James cornileusjames01 at yahoo.gr, report them immediately!!!! (i'm not able to type their full addresses, because it appears as a link, and this is my first post)
etrose

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: greek esl scam Reply with quote

if you need info on the legalities of working in greece, i found a really helpful site:
www.livingingreece.gr

it's run by a woman named kat, who has provided a treasure trove of info on the subject. the site is a great resource for anyone looking for info on living there.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: ADVERTISEMENT Reply with quote

Hello Etrose

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your problems. However, if you are interested in a similar genuine position in Russia, I can give you the details.

Give me the link to the advertisement and I will have it deleted

UJ
etrose

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: greek ESL scams Reply with quote

Thanks unionjack. it seems the link has already been removed, i couldn't find it. it was listed under critical listings, or immediate need. i would be interested in the position in russia, if you could provide some info that would be great. thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: