ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

double standards, foreigners vs. natives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ortneyb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: double standards, foreigners vs. natives Reply with quote

Ihave a friend who is currently working in Japan, and he is currently dealing with this issue.

My friend is a Chinese Canadian, and as you can imagine, inline with some of the things posted in the "discrimination issues" area, he has a plus because he is a native speaker, however he has a minus because he looks Japanese.

i think that in this story there are expectations of him to behave like a Japanese person because he looks it, instead of recognizing the less obvious fact that he is not Japanese at all!

Anyhow, the current "discrimination" that is happening here is that he is being asked to change his appearance even though he appears exactly the same as he does in his hiring photo. In my opinion i believe that his appearance is quite professional, he wears a suit and is clean cut. However his employers complain that his haircut is too short, and not professional.
( Short hair is not popular in Japan apparently, all the boys have long and very feminine hair)
At the same time, his Japanese coworkers have long shaggy hair, and often come to work wearing jeans.
One co-worker even had bleached hair. And another foreign teacher from Australia has shaggy hippie like hair!

So there is obviously a double standard going on here. Now people might argue that since we are talking about hair, it is something that can be changed, and that may in fact be true but how would that address the issues i just wrote about?

Is this discrimination in your opinion? I think it is.

o..
morbamo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: well, now you know Reply with quote

...that discrimination in all forms is alive and well.

I think it definitely is discrimination if it's on the basis of how he looks. Considering from what you said earlier, in terms of your friend being Chinese Canadian, I'm sure that he's probably been brought up, and taught, to make himself presentable, and clean cut. It sounds like he's conveying (by his look) what he's in Japan for, which is to teach. Personally, I'm not really bothered by how long a teacher's hair is as long as he/she is effective.

It sucks that your friend has to worry about this type of stuff. I realize that students (ESL students especially) are probably keen to view their teachers as friends, but lines have to be drawn. It seems as if in order for your friend to effectively teach his students, he has to be on their level also.

Just my two cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Discrimination Issues in ESL... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: