ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I got a job in Beijing, China, now what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: I got a job in Beijing, China, now what? Reply with quote

Those of you watching the news know that America is experiencing a financial crisis brought about by the greed and stupidity of our lower class workers and upper class leaders.
Personally, I have about $11,000 in credit card debt as I travel to China. I contacted a law firm that will renegotiate my debt to about $7800. I must pay in monthly installments of about $200 each month.
An evil thought has crossed my mind that I should blow off the monthly repayments to the law firm and credit card companies. Essentially, I would tell them to "naff off" I find this easy to do because it is so hard to find a full-time teaching job in the U.S.
My government hasn't done anything for me except enrich companies at the expense of the middle-class (me). I am woefully behind in making contributions to my IRA and I figure the money would be better spent in that than paying a credit card co. or a law firm. I really do not want to go back to the U.S. because the financial situation will only get worse.
What would you do in my situation?
Sad Evil or Very Mad
JWESL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is very difficult to find full-time work in the US. I've been fortunate to find full-time with an Adult School, but it's low pay and very unstructured. If I were in your position, I would look seriously at the jobs in the Middle East. HCT in UAE, for example, pay well and give a good contract. I have had several friends and colleagues relocate out there for the same reason - they couldn't find full-time employment in the USA in ESL. They were happy with the pay, the conditions, the contract, and the holidays. They went to Kuwait, UAE, and Oman. Anyway, food for thought. Even with the dollar value down, they are still happy with their situation.
JW
HenanMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a no-brainer for me, mate! I'd blow off the credit card company and the law firm. Even if you do the decent thing, your credit rating will be in the toilet for several years. And believe me, 1,400 yuan goes a lot farther, even in pricey Beijing, than $200 in America.

The only problem though is, how do you know you will like China? Maybe you shouldn't burn your bridges too early.
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like Beijing. It's cold for me and the students like to share their colds with you (they don't stay away because of illness). The school is a reconverted health spa, which means it's sort of upscale-- by Beijing standards.

My rent is paid for, so I don't pay rent, car, gas, or insurance. The money I save will be spent on storage (for my stuff) and credit card exps.

Damn, I wish I had thought this through. I was busy pulling my money out of mutual funds and rolling over IRAs and packing my stuff. I came from a familty that took pride in credit ratings and paying bills.

Now I'm in a race to pay off the cards I wanna keep and then I have the option of driving my checking acct. into the ground.

On the other hand, I'm making a great salary in a major city and learning Chinese will make me a better teacher. Smile
esl4me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Go to china..settle with the credit card companies later Reply with quote

Well aardvark as you can see credit problems isn't just a "lower working class" problem. Actually, middle class = lower class if you live in America now and therefore new rules apply. And sad to say, the good old days of trying so hard to protect your credit rating are long gone. The financial industry could not care less about you or your family as long as they get paid.. So basically, I would say the hell with the credit card balances.. you've probably paid way more in interest than you should have anyway. They'll write it off and place it on your credit report.. and when you get back to the states renegotiate a better settlement (you'll probably be able to do less than half of what the attorney is getting you), get a prepaid card, and you'll be back in the game in no time..

And I would not exhaust my retirement to pay off credit cards, you need money when and if you decide to come back !
SmithPeterson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry friend, I have no idea about Beijing; I learnt a little bit from you.
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey! it's hot and humid in Beijing! (not a news flash).

Well, let's see, how is it going so far?? About eight teachers either quit or were fired within the last month. The school is adding a new building (which means they'll need more teachers in about four months) and I'd say morale for the teachers is at a low point.

the teaching conditions (hot, humid weather) don't make my teaching effective. In fact, I alternate between teaching grammar and writing because there is some interest in grammar, but no interest in writing.

My co-teacher is about to get fired because he challenged the headmaster's authority (something about giving the class IELTS tests when they weren't prepared for them).

For all this drama, I can see about one or two students who are serious about doing a good job and the other 85% don't show up and don't care.
aardvark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
I returned to the U.S. and I took a class in communicative teaching methods. the reason for this is that schools (it doesn't matter where you are) will give you 4 or 5 hours to fill and you had better fill it with time that gets the students speaking.

However, many chinese students are content to let the teacher do all the talking, but that gives me a sore throat and I already know enough English. I did a brief stint at English First (evil empire) and I learned a lot about my country's economy from working there. There was a journalist there who said the economy was so bad in Michigan, he had no choice but to teach in Beijing. There was also an announcer/newsman who pretty much said the same thing about another state.

Now that I've been back in the U.S. I drive without insurance (just like illegals) and I applied for a tax refund (just like illegals). Before I left the U.S. I made less than $14K and I had to pay taxes. In China, I made double that and the U.S. gave me a tax refund. now I know why my country is in the toilet.

There's a reason why there is a brain-drain in the U.S. and it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
Gary8Tod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember -
ESL is for here in the US - If you're outside of the US you probably have the problem that one year you have a US trained teacher and one year you have an UK trained teacher - even simple words like color/colour is a real challenge for the child learning English in a non-English speaking country
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: