ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long have you been away from home?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you ever going back home?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Made my home abroad
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Who knows?
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 18

Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: How long have you been away from home? Reply with quote

I don't see too many posters on this forum who have turned teaching abroad into a career, but I know you're out there.

I've been in Mexico for 5 years myself, and consider this place home. Of course, I married a Mexican woman so that makes it easy.

How long have you been away? Any plans to go back?
lara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,
Just to let you know that there really are some of us who have made teaching their career...

I moved to Palestine 3 years ago from the U.K. It wasn't too much of a culture shock because I'm of Arab and English origins, although life here can be pretty tough because of the political situation, and I haven't been able to see my family since I came here ( This year I hope will be easier to travel). All in all though, I feel I've found my home and have no plans to live in the u.k. ever again : )

Lara
paulo2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: How long.... Reply with quote

Hey Guy!

Just wanted to say that I've been far too long away from home...seems like an ETERNITY...God only knows when I'll be returning...

meanwhile...Mexico is PARADISE - is it not????
oldersissy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: How long have you been away from home? Reply with quote

Hi,

I did not start out thinking I would make this a career. I just wanted to take some time off and decided to travel. With limited funds, I needed a job. Teaching English pays well enough to meet expenses and some locations it pays very well, in many cases, it is not a full time job that ties you to a desk or location, and you get to meet a variety of people and social classes that you would never meet otherwise. (If you are somewhat ambitious and willing to work hard, teaching can give you a safe economic foundation. You can pursue other ambitions, such as an advanced education, becoming a writer, an entrepreneur, photographer, etc.)

After 3 years, I decided to return home, because of family. However, things that had been important were no longer important to me. I also knew about quality of life issues overseas, and home did not meet all of those personal needs any longer.

Therefore, I decided to return to teaching and got my MA, and EDD, and now I am working at a University with no plans to return permanently.
paulo2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh...Universities in Mexico...rather strange settings, wouldn't you agree?

High turnover among professors - Mexican and English speaking...

I'm beginning to understand why...
HenanMike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: How long... Reply with quote

I am a Canadian who has been living and teaching in China for three years and Asia for 13 years. I am married to a Chinese woman and consider this my home now.
When I do visit my family and friends in Canada, I actually suffer culture shock and yearn to return to China. Other than according to my passport, I am really NOT a Canadian any longer. <Big resigned shrug> Perhaps it is time for me to learn the wretched language of my adopted homeland!
paulo2006

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite phrase was: 'Ting budong!' - As a matter of fact - my little Chinese friend, Cindy, bought me a tee-shirt with those very words - in Chinese characters of course!
marie connelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: how long have you been abroad Reply with quote

I've been in Ireland for eleven years now. ESL just became an issue here about six years ago when the economy took off. For the first time in its history, Ireland is taking in immigrants with varied linguistics backgrounds. Fortunately, its only a plane trip home and the culture is Hiberno-Anglo: not too much of a shock. Jobs are low-paying unless you are fortunate enough to be in the regular school system which requires a command of the Irish language at primary level. It will be a growth area for years to come I imagine.
garryb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Away from "Home" Reply with quote

I left Canada in 1991 for a two year contract. I wanted to gain experience in teaching overseas. The rest as they say is history. I return almost every year for a holiday although I refer to it as "taking the cure". I wish I had discovered the Expat life a long time ago. The only problem is when you go home its hard to relate to old friends. You are either "brag'n or complain'n" when you expound about your wild and wonderful experiences.The Expat life has suited me and I have six more years in the Middle East before I retire and the only problem is deciding where to retire to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: how long have i been away... Reply with quote

i started in 2002: thailand and now here in china, my 3rd year... working abroad is both fun and lonely. good and bad. always a combination of those things... but as they say life is how we view it... so i enjoy being sad. i enjoy being alone. for i know, everything will pass away... this will all be part of our memories...
zeke5959

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: home again? Reply with quote

I've been a teacher for 21 years and have lived and taught in quite a few different countries and have made Russia my home. I am married to a Russian ballerina and have NO plans to return the the United States.
KellyKu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: I'm in Germany Reply with quote

I teach english here in Germany and go back home during the summers! I love it here, but do enjoy going back home! This is such a wonderful experience, but going home is always refreshing! Very Happy
uofu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: home abroad Reply with quote

Not the first trip to beautiful BRAZIL, but certainly the last.
Teaching ESL at a private language school pays the bills, which are very low.
Two blocks from the ocean, with the breezes to cool our 6th floor apartment, swimming pool on the uncovered 9th floor for sun-at-home and exercise, this must be PARADISE.

Fluent in Portuguese from former visits, now my 12 year old son is also fluent and doing well in the private elementary school a block away.

(Divorced) father of child visits once a year and we return to Utah for WINTER break in July every year.

People are warm and loving, food is good, fruits are plentiful and cheap, bird choir from outdoors awakens us each morning to another new day in Paradise. No plans to live in Utah again. Just visit. from happy janete
kirrmack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in China for 4 years and I have recently moved back to my home country. I loved China and couldn't even contemplate leaving until a few months ago. I believe it was one of the most difficult decisions I have made. I think no matter how long you are in a country like China and no matter how much you love it no one who is not from that country can live out thier life there. It has been difficult coming home but I think it would have been more difficult for me if I had stayed. I think that people like me will always travel but it is unrealistic to believe that we will stay in one place for too long.
CizinkaNaZemi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: When the time comes...? Reply with quote

After reading all these posts, I have another question for those who have lived abroad for a few years or more: How do you know when it's time to go home? To your home country, I mean, because the point when you start calling a foreign country "home" is a different question.

As certain and wanderlusty as I was when I moved to the Czech Republic four years ago, I found this Christmas that the tide has changed. I thought I had learned while living abroad that home is where you make it, nowhere and everywhere, but I'm sensing a serious gravitational pull back to my hometown. After years abroad, knowing you feel like a foreigner in your native country as well, what would make (has made) you move back? Would you (Did you) feel like you are regressing? Why or why not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Open ESL Expert Discussion... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: