ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you want to teach abroad?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why Do You Want to Work Abroad?
To See The World / Get the Heck Outta Here
24%
 24%  [ 15 ]
To Make Some Money / Look for Opportunity
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
To Meet Interesting People
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
To Start A New Life / Do Something Different
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Personal Reasons / I'm Running Away from Something I Don't Wanna Discuss
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I Wouldn't Tell You If I Could (Or Knew)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
I Have No Idea. Any Suggestions?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Several of These Reasons
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
None of These Reasons
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 61

Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Why do you want to teach abroad? Reply with quote

Just about every day, someone surprises me with their answer to this question...

What attracts you to teaching abroad?

For me, it was a lifelong fascination with everything that isn't Canada. Latin America has always been that exotic place to go. It's not so exotic anymore, but the lust for travel hasn't left me yet after 5 years. Teaching here was at first a means to an end, but now it's a career, and I'm by no means unhappy that it is.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Teaching abroad Reply with quote

I love teaching and therefore, it didn't really matter where the job was, I would go... but not any more. I've spent 15 years teaching abroad, mainly in Bahrain, Saudi and Libya and I must say it has been a wasteful experience, except to confirm, that it is better at home than abroad.

I was in the navy, when I was 21, and so, I had seen the world long before I started teaching abroad and therefore, travel was not the sole attraction. I needed some big money quickly and this was the only way I could do it. I am now back in the UK, teaching part time at a local college but I've been offered a position in Bahrain and the money is out of this world (2000 = $3500 per week) but I am turning it down because I can't take the Arab culture any more. That's not to say that I didn't have any great times but I must now be getting too old for this malarkey.

My only ambition now, is to see the Great Wall of China, not as a teacher but as a tourist, thank you very much.

Nevertheless, I wish all you young teachers some great adventures and if I can be of any help, just let me know.

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Tue May 15, 2007 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
lara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Union Jack,
From reading the forums, I've noticed you have a negative opinion about the Middle East, it's culture, etc.
I'm of Arab and English origins, and I teach in Palestine. It's the best thing I've ever done, I love my work, and every aspect of living here.... far more than I did in the U.K. I think that if anyone is looking to work in the Middle East, your postings are hardly going to encourage them : )

Just one more thing, if the Middle East was so bad, why did you stay there for so long?!
No hard feelings U.J., I just thought there should be a more positive post about this part of the world...
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Palistine Reply with quote

Hello Lara

I am pleased that you are enjoying yourself in Palestine and I am also pleased that you have redressed the balance, with your post about the Middle East. After all, it is only my opinion.

To answer your question though; I stayed working in the Arab world for so many years, because of the money but, as I said, I had some great times too but not, generally speaking, with the natives. Nevertheless, I have made some Arab friends, whose homes I have visited and they too likewise, have visited and stayed in my home in the UK. So, there you go.

UJ
lara

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah.. you see? we're not all that bad Wink
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: The Arab Culture Reply with quote

Actually, Lara, I didn't say that Arabs were bad. However, if you click on the URL below, the extract from Edward Hall's book 'The Hidden Dimension', demonstrates how it can be difficult to accept another culture, which is very different from your own, even though you understand the reasons for it.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/558184/posts

UJ
lara

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi U.J.

Hey, I was kidding when I said we're not all bad : )
Anyway, I had a quick look at the link but I'll read it properly later - whether I'll agree with it, I don't know : ) . The Middle East can be very different, and I guess it's not the easiest place to live for some people. For me, it's been good as I'm half arab/half english, and I've been lucky enough to have some very good friends here who have helped me alot. Still, I don't think I could return to England... I'm definitely more at home here in Palestine - and this place is different to some other Arab countries. By the way, did you ever teach in Lebanon?

Bye for now,
Lara
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Culture Reply with quote

Lara

You'll find the extract very interesting because there is nothing derogatory about it and you might even recognise something of yourself in it.

The nearest I've been to Lebanon is Jordan, which I must admit, I enjoyed very much.
Incidentally, are you teaching children, teenagers or adults and where are you located in Palestine? Would you recommend inexperienced teachers to go there and what do you do in your spare time?

Lots of questions!

UJ
Wonder Bread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into this field because I thought it was easy. What skills did I actually need? Being a native speaker I had all I needed. How many jobs are out there like that? You are born with the skill you need to do it and you don't have to do anything. You are born a qualified professional. No Education and no time wasted going to school.

It's a great way to get out and see the world
Supergussy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Confusty Biscuits. Reply with quote

Hi.

Isn't this a quote from Confuscious (possibly spelt that wrong?)??
>>>>I love teaching and therefore, it didn't really matter where the job was, I would go........ but not any more. I've spent 15 years teaching abroad, mainly in Bahrain, Saudi and Libya and I must say it has been a wasteful experience, except to confirm, that it is better at home than abroad. <<<<<<

Well, you know what I mean. The idea that man spends his whole life travelling the world to find that he already had what he was looking for at home. I'm not attempting to be funny, it''s just that I read this or something similar somewhere but forget where it came from.

Angus
Etc.Van

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost
PittsburghPete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Makin' my own "path not taken." Reply with quote

Etc.Van wrote:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference

Yeah, but where'd Frosty's other road go hoss?

With all that the word road impies, I say, why take the road at all when you can go off-road (or soar like an eagle, freebird)?

P.Pete

"You might be a redneck if you spent more money on your pickup truck than on your education." --Joe Foxworthy.
lara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: For U.J. - teaching in Palestine Reply with quote

Hi U.J.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier...

Anyway, to answer your questions about teaching in Palestine.
I'm in Gaza - been here for 3 years, teaching all ages, able and disabled, from all backgrounds...

I was an inexperienced teacher when I came here, but was thrown in at the deep end, and so I got some really good experience very quickly. I guess its down to individuals, so it may be different for others.

If anyone wants to come here, they have to be prepared for a different way of life a little bit, and there's not much to do here - restaurants only... Basically, you need friends here, but there's something about Gaza that makes many people love living here. At the moment though, the security situation in Gaza is pretty dire...

Ramallah in the West Bank is more cosmopolitan and has more nightlife but you have to leave every 3 months because its controlled by the israelis - so you have to go to Jordan and back again.

I'm biased, but I would recommend to come to Palestine to teach - just as long as you're well prepared, have your eyes open, and work with a reputable organisation.

Hope this is helpful to anyone...

Lara
Cepelin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you completely.
alina.biris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Malaysia job Reply with quote

Hello. My name is Alina, I am from Romania and I am trying to find a teaching job in Malaysia. I have been visiting there and because my boyfriend has a job there I would like to stay for 1 year with him.
I have a BA degree in English, but I don't know if that is enough in order to get a job as an English teacher there.
So what do you think, do I have any chance of finding a job?
Thanks,
Alina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: