ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do you want to teach abroad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why Do You Want to Work Abroad?
To See The World / Get the Heck Outta Here
24%
 24%  [ 15 ]
To Make Some Money / Look for Opportunity
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
To Meet Interesting People
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
To Start A New Life / Do Something Different
18%
 18%  [ 11 ]
Personal Reasons / I'm Running Away from Something I Don't Wanna Discuss
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
I Wouldn't Tell You If I Could (Or Knew)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
I Have No Idea. Any Suggestions?
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Several of These Reasons
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
None of These Reasons
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 61

svirtue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to teach maybe in Costa Rica or Panama, I have no experience, although I speak spanish and my wife is Panamena who also would do the same. Any thoughts or help is greatly needed.
Lee Hobbs
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Teach or Work Abroad? Reply with quote

The title of the actual post and the title of the survey/poll can be contradictory, in my opinion.

One's reasons for wanting to "work" abroad may be quite different from one's reasons for wanting to "teach."

If the survey/poll was really about teaching, as the actual post title suggests, I'm a little surprised at the possible responses one can vote for. None of them seem to be pedagogically-inspired.

Is it possible that someone wants to teach overseas because he or she 1. loves to do it (teach, that is), 2. loves children., 3. loves to help others (in this case, acquire new skills, etc.), or maybe 4. loves to share knowledge or continue to learn themselves (yes, we can learn a lot from our students)?

Working abroad can mean anything from consulting to playing a guitar on the street to opening a bagel shop. For those pursuits, any number of reasons might motivate someone to go abroad to do them.

However, would any of the reasons listed in this poll "get you the teaching job" if asked by a school employer, "why do you want to teach here"?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts,

Lee

Lee's blog is still available, however, here: www.english-blog.com
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't so much want to work abroad as to live abroad, in Asia, to be specific.

So, I chose the "See the World" option.
moksh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like to work abroad
but i will do this because of the money
sashalig

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of teaching jobs in Russia and China
SC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Confusty Biscuits. Reply with quote

Supergussy wrote:
Hi.

Well, you know what I mean. The idea that man spends his whole life travelling the world to find that he already had what he was looking for at home. I'm not attempting to be funny, it''s just that I read this or something similar somewhere but forget where it came from.

Angus

This comes from the book the Alchemist by Paul Coelho. Well it is probably in a lot of places but that is where I have seen it.

I always thought it was a good way to see the world!
emona7100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: First Job Reply with quote

Teaching abroad is a manifestation of a dream.
I just got my first job in UK, and I am from Canada.
priestess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: I got a job! Reply with quote

Hi, I've been looking for a teaching job for ages. And recently I got a teaching job in the US. I applied online and then the long process of receiving job permits began. It took me over 2 months but I'm very happy now to have it completed. I'm starting in September and still looking for a cheap place to live in California. But there are so many helpful sites that I don't worry now. I'm celebrating my success!!!
sammy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reason why i wanted to teach abroad is mainly because of money. second is that, because i love travelling outside the country most specifically in asia... i love their culture and people are hospitable.
ParkEnglish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: English Teaching Jobs in South Korea Reply with quote

I would teach abroad because of the following reasons:

1.) International experience
2.) Opportunity to do something unconventional
3.) Good pay package
4.) Meet new people
5.) Lastly: To make life more Interesting
catherineluff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely see the world!

TEFL has been the best opportunity for me to experience new cultures from the inside as it were.
c.holden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some interesting responses here. For me, I would like to go see Eastern Europe because my family originally has roots over there. I have wanted to go and see the country for a very long time and I believe that I still have extended relatives in the Czech Republic and Germany. Of the two, I would really like to see the Czech Republic and totally immerse myself in a new culture. I think that traveling to a different country for work definitely takes an adventuresome spirit and the right personal circumstances. In the end I think that it comes down to the experiences that you can accumulate over your lifetime and the friends you are able to make along the way. Teaching is certainly the best job I could have ever asked for with the massive amount of relationships and personal experiences that we are exposed to over the length of our careers. Choosing to teach in another country just adds to the stories we can tell and the memories that we can reflect on later in life. I do sometimes fear the unknown situations that may come up as a result of being a foreigner, but everything is really a risk when you think about it, and my opinion is that traveling and seeing the world is an important risk that people should take when they are in the right place in life. Luckily I am finally there.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see.. getting paid for chatting with people... meeting new people...
It's an easy decision unless you hate people Smile
woren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: why do you want to to teach abroad? Reply with quote

When I was younger, I lived in a few different countries around the world and went to international schools there. I've wanted to become a teacher since as long as I can remember, and I'm really interested in possibly teaching abroad someday. I loved living in different countries and cultures and I definitely want to keep that up. I'm in the middle of highschool now, and I was wondering if I could get advice on things to focus on now and in college and if there's anything special I would need to teach abroad. Also, if any of you guys do teach abroad, why did you choose to and what do you like about it?
raelianautopsy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what interesting responses and experiences people have. I never knew about teaching in Palestine, and such places as that. Keep posting, it's interesting to read Smile

For me, the number one reason is still to travel. I surprised myself two years ago by enjoying teaching English, and it's great to meet people and explore new opportunities and study language etc. But the important reason still remains; it's all about travel! I mean, I would never really want to be a teacher in America, even if I had the chance.

Always loved Asia, still so grateful to be in China after all this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> Getting the ESL Job... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: