ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know about Yu Ming Education Center?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr010608

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Does anyone know about Yu Ming Education Center? Reply with quote

Does anyone know about Yu Ming Education Center? They are located in Tianjin.
paulo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: YUMING Reply with quote

Yes I most certainly do, and I am afraid to tell you that the news about this company is NOT good Sad
I really hope that my late discovery of your post does not mean that you have already come to Tianjin and started working for them, if you have, I suggest you take very careful steps to get the hell out of there ASAP.
This company is becoming very well known to teachers in the city, and also to the police and the PSB.
I worked there for a while and got totally screwed over by them ,along with a number of other teachers. The adverts that are plastered all over the net, promise various things, most of which are just to lure you into working for them. The do not honour contracts and lie and cheat people over things all the time.
For example, their adverts and website clearly state that the holiday periods during the Summer and Winter are 4 and 6 weeks long, in actuality, the holiday periods are 2 months in the Winter and 3 months in the Summer, add to that the Chinese National holidays, and days when the schools you work in are going out on a trip, or having exams and you are looking at a total out of work period of about 6 months of the year - UNPAID!!!!
They also state that you will work for a minimum of about 25 to 30 hours a week, I got 16 hours a week if I was lucky and know others who had even less than that.
They have a deal with certain landlords, if you want them to get an apartment for you, where you will end up paying rent way above what it should actually cost you, and no doubt split the profit with the landlord.
If you have any problems you want to sort out with them, their English comprehension level suddenly takes a nose dive and they pretend not to understand you.
Quite often, you will be told your classes are cancelled late the night before, and sometimes they won’t even so that, meaning you will travel all the way to the school only to find you have no work that day, then they try to blame the school for not informing them, whilst I can believe this is the case on occasion, it can’t be the case the amount of times it actually happens.
In your contract, you sign a clause that prohibits you for working for anyone else, or doing any extra work elsewhere, private or otherwise, which means you’re out of work and unpaid time is really unpaid.
If they find out you did work somewhere else in the holidays they will cancel your Visa, and won’t tell you, leaving you in the position of being an illegal immigrant, kicked out of China and also fined 500RMB for every day of your overstay. That just happened to a friend of mine whose Visa was cancelled in March and he only found out in August.
They also hold onto very important documents that you are supposed to have in your possession, like your foreign experts certificate, and if you tell them you’re leaving, and wish to change employers, they will refuse to go through the proper procedure with the authorities, that allows you to change your Visa over. The law in China means that your Visa is directly connected to the employer who got it for you and you cannot work for anyone else on that Visa, when you change jobs, they are supposed to complete an out report and give it to you, the new employer takes this to the PSB, which allows them to renew your Visa, this is the thing that they won’t actually do, which means leaving China and starting the whole Visa process again from the beginning, a very time consuming and costly affair.
I could go on and on but I think I have said enough to get the message across.
DO NOT WORK HERE - SERIOUSLY - YOU WILL REGRET IT
I hope this has been useful to you and I hope to God your not already here and started working there, if you have, fell free to contact me again and I will try and give you advice on how you can get the hell out again
jr010608

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I declined the school's offer after they refused to alter the contract and provide me with any references. I am now about to head to Korea instead where I beleive that I have a pretty good school lined up. The school has great references from many different sources. Again, thanks for the info on Yu Ming. Hopefully, someone else will find this post useful.
Okay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: YuMing Education of Tinajin, China - Not To Be Trusted! Reply with quote

Well I suppose we should ignore all the teachers who worked there and trashed YuMing and also ignore the fact that they are blacklisted by both the CFTU and the CTA eh? We should also ignore that this thread started in 2009 and the only positive comment about Yuming you can find on the internet are at testimonial websites where if you pay $500 a month ANY business will get praised and glorified. Oh, and there is Mr. Corbin. Is he the owner, business manager, recruiter, or principal of Yu Ming?

And if YuMing Education Group is so honest, why do they advertise with blind ads and nine different email addresses? Even the recruiters used by YuMing are blacklisted!

I can smell this coffee from Dallas!
CFTU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Yu Ming Reply with quote

Be advised that this company has been blacklisted under various names since 2010. For details visit http://ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.org
The CFTU is China's first and only private labor union representing the 25,000+ foreign teachers now working in China. Visit our website at www.ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.org for details and join our cause if you agree with it!
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Well I suppose we should ignore all the teachers who worked there and trashed YuMing[/quote]

"Okay" I just did a quick Google search "Yuming Tianjin". I looked at the reviews and saw that only 2 people seem to be saying negative things about the company. Some guy named Paul (he has even posted in this thread) and some guy named Turnoi. It looks like Paul was upset about not having work during the holidays. As for the Turnoi guy I looked at his posts and Don't really rate his opinion. It seems he has worked in every school in China almost and every school is bad. I think it is a case of a bad workman blaming his tools. I have lived in Tianjin for 5 years now and have met lots of expats who have worked for them (myself included) and I have not met anyone who has had any problems. I would say that you work 8 months out of 12. Yeah it is a bit of a pain but there are plenty of part time jobs you can do during the summer. In fact this summer I am a little too busy with work Rolling Eyes . I think the best advice for anyone considering a job anywhere in China is to make sure you know what to expect. Where exactly will you be teaching? In a school or training centre? Schools are going to be closed during the winter and summer holidays. Training centres are going to be open most if not all of the year. These are the types of questions you are supposed to ask in an interview! After one week at a job you know the situation plan and organise what you will be doing (you are adults now, take control of your life). If anyone does have any questions about Yuming PM me and you will get honest, first hand experienced advice.
Okay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Yu Ming Education Group Are Devious & Deceptive Advertis Reply with quote

Martin is an employee of Yu Ming. Do you really expect him to be truthful about all the complaints? As another posted said before, companies that have to advertise jobs and recruit under fictitious names are NOT to be trusted. They have something to hide when they do not use their correct legal school name.

Check out eslcafe about what they say about Yu Ming and then Google "Yu Ming Education, scam, problems" and you will understand why they are blacklisted and why they have to play name games in order to recruit both teachers and students. See the sexual harassment complaint at fraudwatchers as well.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Tin foil hat party Reply with quote

Okay, have you ever had a job before? If Yu Ming was an evil organisation working in a volcano why would I work there? It is not an organisation run by Dr. Evil it is just a normal company. If you have personally worked there before please tell us your first hand experiences. If you haven't worked there why do you have such strong views? Believe me if I didn't like working at Yu Ming I would find another job. Go to any website that advertises jobs in China and you will see that there are many jobs available. I have worked there for nearly 5 years because they are a good company. You know they asked me not to write on this website but I ignored them and did it anyway. I am not sure what you mean about posting adverts with fictitious names. All our adverts have a link to our website that has YU MING EDUCATION in big writing on the front page. As for spamming job websites you will find every Chinese company does this. They think that people only choose the job on the top. It is not unique to one company. I searched the term you mentioned in google and firstly Yu Ming charter school has literally nothing to do with us. So the sexual harassment complaint is about a different company in a different country. You know when I googled the term I just found complaints from the two people I mentioned in my last post. I would also like to add we have a full roster of teachers as usual this year. With 9 of the teachers having resigned contracts wishing to work here another year. I guess they like working at the company.
CFTU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tin foil hat party Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Okay, have you ever had a job before? If Yu Ming was an evil organisation working in a volcano why would I work there? It is not an organisation run by Dr. Evil it is just a normal company. If you have personally worked there before please tell us your first hand experiences. If you haven't worked there why do you have such strong views? Believe me if I didn't like working at Yu Ming I would find another job. Go to any website that advertises jobs in China and you will see that there are many jobs available. I have worked there for nearly 5 years because they are a good company. You know they asked me not to write on this website but I ignored them and did it anyway. I am not sure what you mean about posting adverts with fictitious names. All our adverts have a link to our website that has YU MING EDUCATION in big writing on the front page. As for spamming job websites you will find every Chinese company does this. They think that people only choose the job on the top. It is not unique to one company. I searched the term you mentioned in google and firstly Yu Ming charter school has literally nothing to do with us. So the sexual harassment complaint is about a different company in a different country. You know when I googled the term I just found complaints from the two people I mentioned in my last post. I would also like to add we have a full roster of teachers as usual this year. With 9 of the teachers having resigned contracts wishing to work here another year. I guess they like working at the company.

Martin... Who are you? Are you just an employee, the owner, Recruitment Director or... maybe an agent or recruiter for Yu Ming? There are very good reasons why Yu Ming has been blacklisted for years and the owners refused to address dozens of complaints going back to 2011.

Constantly changing the name of the school in all your ads does not help establish trust nor credibility either. If you continue to profess innocence here in this thread, we will start posting the complaints one by one right here for all to read. When Yu Ming start treating teachers in an ethical and honorable fashion for at least a year with no complaints, they will earn themselves a second chance in the international ESL community.
The CFTU is China's first and only private labor union representing the 25,000+ foreign teachers now working in China. Visit our website at www.ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.org for details and join our cause if you agree with it!
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just an employee. I am only defending them because I have never had a problem with them and I have been with them for nearly 5 years now. From the posts it looks like they might have done things in the past but I have never seen anything to make me believe this now. If they have done things it must have been due to incompetence rather than for malicious reasons.
Liza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
I am just an employee. I am only defending them because I have never had a problem with them and I have been with them for nearly 5 years now. From the posts it looks like they might have done things in the past but I have never seen anything to make me believe this now. If they have done things it must have been due to incompetence rather than for malicious reasons.

Consider yourself lucky Martin. They have ripped off dozens of teachers and my ex-roommate was one of them. They cheated her out of 12,000 yuan and then had the balls to want to "sell" her a release letter for 20,000 yuan!
paulo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been moderated UJ

Well Martin is YOFP - Yet Another Foreign Patsy.

When you are ripping off so many people of course it is wise to let the odd one off the hook. That way you can use their opinion to your advantage and create a phony bone of contention.

Only 2 people have complained. OK people, do a Google search as Martin suggests he did. 2 people??? I think not.

I took Yuming through the labor courts and (expletive removed) them breaking the law. They pulled on all their guanxi but mine went higher than theirs at the time.

As for the some of the other replies on this board they are in Chinglish so we all know who has posted those messages.

"Yuming offer quality materials and classes" No they don't the teachers who took their TEFL and did all the hard work offer quality classes. The material is procured from all kinds of 3rd party sources and nothing that goes on is anything that Yuming create. They can't communicate in English all that well anyway so how could they.

If you want to know what Yuming is really like then I suggest you don't take anyone's word as gospel on the internet including myself and take a few trips down to Puoku Dao where their offices are (pass the book store heading to xiaobailao and Yuming is located in the oblong building on the right of Puoku Dao. Go around the back and down to the end)

Wait around for teachers coming and going. You'll notice most come and go individually and at different times from each other because they don't like their teachers to know each other if possible. Ask some of them how happy they are and I bet you anything that most are not and have a story to tell you.

Notice also how nearly every single post from some teacher defending Yuming always says how they used to work there and then goes on to paint a picture of being the greatest place in China to work for. If that is true then how come you apply the past tense to your statements......

Here is another FACT. Nearly all places you are going to go and teach will be problematic to a degree in China because there is so much corruption. Even a lucrative establishment like Rego international school was (expletive removed) people for money when it was bought by a consortium of Chinese businessmen and has now been sold and is running professionally again.

In China what you quickly learn is this. The only teachers who evade assholes of this nature are teachers with real teaching degrees, as in people who could go back and work in a grammar school teaching native speakers not second language.

The rest of us have to make the best from what we have. Yuming are however at the very latter end of the (expletive removed) and have been the beginning and often very swift end to many newbies coming to China.

I'd sooner work in a number of other places defined on boards like this as complete shitholes than Yuming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: