ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie-PLEASE HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Newbie-PLEASE HELP! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am completely new to this but have been reading up on it and noted many useful tips and advice.

I really had a positive attitude to getting trained up and teaching English in Dubai but from reading some members views and experiences- I am seriously re-considering my decision.

I graduated in law (not with honours as due to personal circumstances I couldn't complete two units) nonetheless, I have a degree certificate.
I then went on to work in different areas and am now considering teaching English.

To top up my knowledge I am considering doing a graduate certificate in linguistics and than taking a CELTA course.
I then want to hopefully start applying for jobs in Dubai around April of next year to start work in September.

Are there any tips out there to get me on track and am I making the right decision?

I understand that without teaching experience I may not get a highly paid job but I would ideally like around 24k start.
Plus, will it be difficult being single, female 30 and Asian British born?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Very Happy
JustMe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it will be very difficult to get a job in Dubai without any experience. You might think about getting a couple of years experience elsewhere before you start applying. Being a single woman shouldn't be a problem once you get there.
ngaire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: law, etc Reply with quote

Hi Shelley ~
I have no experience with Dubai, but I think that a law degree would be very favourably looked upon in Korea and other Asian countries. Combine that with a graduate certificate and CELTA and you could get something very decent.

I worked at a university in Korea for 2 years, with a BA and a CELTA. I did go there first & spent 3 months looking for the job (since I don't have an MA, I didn't think I would have much luck applying from overseas.)

Sorry I can't comment more on the Middle East, but with your qualifications you
really should be able to get something decent somewhere.
aardvark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your decision to get a CELTA is a good one, albeit expensive.
Concentrate on Asian teaching jobs, then focus on the Middle East.
If you specialize in Business English or E for Special Purposes, that would be helpful.

Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in Africa & S.W. Asia [Middle East]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: