ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Others had experience with becoming an overseas school direc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Issues for School Owners...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanGSwope

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Others had experience with becoming an overseas school direc Reply with quote

A friend and I have been visiting various TESOL certificate granting schools and sitting in on their classes. We are attempting to get US federal stimulus monies to fund our TESOL certificate training and are developing funding proposals.

During a visit to one TESOL school last week, its director during a time of talking with my friend and me thought it was possible for us to be school directors overseas and earn $50 k after a year's worth of teaching TESOL experience. We are looking at Asia, Japan, S. Korea, Taiwan and China.

Does anyone have any personal experience where they landed a school director position after they taught TESOL overseas or knew anyone else who did? If so, where and how did you do it? We're just wondering if this is a possibility?

Thanks.
adam34235

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: School/grant writing Reply with quote

I have heard of someone who has owned their own school. They sold it and went back to teaching.

As far as a grant goes, it is a little bit more complicated. I heard you need to hire a professional "lawyer type" who has the inside scoop on grant writing. You need to pay them a hefty sum. Then, their is no guarantee this "lawyer type" will succeed for you. You could probuably find the "lawyer type" with a few calls.
Lexicon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I am the head of a nonprofit that helps people, governments, and organizations set up schools and improve existing or set up new programs and to then receive government funding for them.

It is a long, difficult process that takes months if not years of planning, fundraising, organizing, and training.

Take this how you will (and keep in mind that it's not meant as an insult) but if you came into my office today saying what you've written in this post I would have to tell you that not only are you nowhere remotely near ready to run a school, but that you are not even ready to teach in someone else's school.

This is a profession and unfortunately one that many enter without professional goals. It is good that you have your professional future in mind. But, like any profession you have to first climb those bottom rungs of the ladder before you can even consider moving into a management position.

1. Learn about the profession.
2. Attain the proper knowledge through self-study
3. Pursue a certification or credentialing track
4. Get your first job.
5. Fail
6. Recognize why you failed then get your second job
7. Work for a year or more.
8. Learn what you have realized you don't know
9. Work for 3-5 more years as a teacher
10. Apply for a position as an Assistant DOS
11. Fail...

Eventually you will be ready to be an effective DOS. Then after a few years if you are really good at it and have your financials in order you can consider opening your own school. Then, once you've been able to prove that you can run a successful and effective program you can attempt to apply for government funding.

Sure, it means we may have the real conversation in say 2020, but reality is reality.

My Blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tropical

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan

I have to say I agree with Lexicon, and you will too when you've done the course - it's an exercise in learning how much there is still to learn.

Good luck with your course and your start into an exciting profession.

Sarah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Issues for School Owners... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: