ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An MA TESOL, what will it get me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exploited

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Australia it'll get you a $10,000 lighter wallet and a pay increase of 60c to $1.60 an hour over twenty hours a week for the first year to help you pay it off Razz At least, that's what it gets you at the school I work at. That and a season pass to an industry that could collapse in on itself at any time.

That's a bit dramatic, and I could be a little jaded with the TESOL industry, but I decided to plow my uni debt into a Masters that will hopefully have better job prospects than teaching TESOL where I get $27,000 below the supposed average wage (and $3000 above the supposed poverty line).

As you can probably tell, I've grown a little tired of the whole business masquerading as education deal you seem to get in a lot of TESOL schools.

I think I under-stated things a little when I said 'could be a little jaded with the TESOL industry' before.
NiaO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Adequate Preparation Reply with quote

Hi! I'm currently undertaking a MA TESOL degree with certification in NYS. Regarding GambateBingBangBOOM's commentary (See Below), I have a few things to say. First, my undergraduate degree is in Linguistics. I feel that I am very knowledgeable about the how second language learners (L2 learners) learn their second languages (L2s). By knowing the underlying reason for how they approach new languages and learning pedagogy that is based off linguistic research, I feel that I will be well-suited to understanding the cognitive needs of my future students as well as their social, emotional, and cultural needs. English degrees and the like are still adequate but they lack the necessary preparation to deal with some of the linguistic courses usually found in MA TESOL programs. Teaching, though not in the traditional way, is a science. Anyone who wants to to teach and has the skill and passion to do it can teach. Perhaps, the reason for your observation of those with an undergraduate degree is because they entered programs that poorly trained them in how to transfer their competence into performance when teaching (bad linguistics pun lol).

This is what was originally written by GambateBingBangBOOM:

Quote:
"If I'm understanding you correctly, you think that the prerequisite for a Masters in TESOL / Applied Linguistics should be an undergraduate degree in Linguistics. I personally don't have an undergrad in Linguistics- but I have taken courses in the linguistics department. I have a double major in English and Music History (and have taken a few History courses on top in order to get a second teachable in history). I've been teaching for going on a decade now and one thing I've noticed is that people with undergraduate degrees in Linguistics usually have a problem when it comes time to teaching ESL or EFL because of the tendency of Linguistics programs to study language as a science (in looking at language as a science, they look at it as as near as possible to a purely intellectual phenomenon). Because of the material covered, English degrees (as well as many other Humanities areas- especially ones relaed to looking at other cultures- Asian History, any of the arts etc.) are probably better suited for actual language teaching than Linguistics degrees, when combined with SOME linguistics courses (ie grammar, SLE, phonetics, a survey course methodology, practicum, sociolinguistics etc). Maybe more important for English language teachers is just having come from highly multicultural areas where interacting with people from many other cultures is commonplace (like if you are from Toronto, New York, Vancouver, LA etc). Being from an area with a high percentage of one other linguistic group is useful (like if you live in Ottawa there is a huge number of French people around, and if you are near the border of Mexico, there will be a huge number of Spanish speaking people around) but not as useful as being from an area where half of all people are from any of hundreds of other linguistics groups (there are over 150 languages spoken in Toronto alone, some divided into little areas like Little Italy etc, but most not being like that."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: