ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best certification to get

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindsay56

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Best certification to get Reply with quote

I would like to tefl in South Korea by the end of the summer. I have a 4year degree but no teaching certification. I was considering doing an online course and/or an accelerated course in Thailand. There's so many programs and so much junk on the internet about them all...

The one's I'm considering are
~ Ontesol.com (100 hour online course)
~ Ical
~ bridgetefl.com
~ Linguaedge.com

Has anyone gone through any of these and found a decent job through their recruitment agencies? I do not want to get scammed!! Please help!
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search our forums there are several posts from students/graduates working in Korea with the ICAL certificate.

http://isc.icalweb.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=403

And by all means PM me if you'd like further information.
Apollo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Best certification Reply with quote

Hi Lindsay! I have just completed the 150-hour course thru LinguaEdge. Good course! Challenging, good tutor support, reasonable cost. I don't have a degree but after sending out about 400 CV's and receiving a few offers, I have accepted work in Eastern Europe for the fall. Don't be discouraged by all the CELTA promotors you are bound to run into on the boards and anywhere the British Council operates. Remember TEFL training is a business and the heavier the promotion, the more recognition a course seems to get. There is beginning to be some recognition that a few good online courses exist because there are. Unfortunately, there is no single accreditation authority for the industry and this leads to many poor course providers. I have had no experience with the course providers you list but did research each of them before deciding on the course I completed. If in doubt, the best approach is to write to the schools, ask which courses they prefer, and educate them about the course you have completed.

The LinguaEdge course is also ACTDEC accredited. I added on the 20 hour teaching praticum which was observed and assessed at a school recognized by TESL Canada. However, ACTDEC it is not as aggressively promoted as CELTA or TRINITY TESOL so not as well known, particularly in the area of the world where I obtained work. You just have to keep your nose to the grindstone, highlight your abilities, and market yourself. With a 4 year degree you will have an easier time than I did. Good luck with your future career!

Last edited by Apollo on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Observed and assessed by TESL Canada? TESL Canada doesn't directly observe or assess any practicum. The Director of Studies at a school that is recognized by TESL Canada does. So maybe you took the practicum at a school that is recognized by TESL Canada and got a practicum certificate from this school but this doesn't mean that TESL Canada was involved at any stage or that it provided you with an accreditation for two reasons:
-If you didn't take the course at a recognized school, only CELTA and TrinityCertTESOL are recognized for TESL Canada equivalency.
-You don't have a degree and to receive TESL Canada's accreditation you need a degree from Canada or its equivalency.

This doesn't mean that Lingua Edge is a bad course provider. Many online schools were rejected by ACTDEC. I just wanted to clarify everything in case it seemed that you were implying that you received TESL Canada's accreditation after taking a course at Lingua Edge and the practicum.
Apollo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies Lucas. The misunderstanding was due to an error when I edited my original post. I don't agree with your suggestion that I had implied or attempted to imply I was accredited, in any way, by TESL Canada. In fact, I had clearly indicated my course was accedited by ACTDEC. In any case, the post is editted once again. On a further note, I do not agree that the Trinity CertTesol or the CELTA courses are the only courses recognized by TESL Canada. For example, many universities across the country offer CertTesol courses recognized by TESL Canada as equivalents.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for clarifying.
Yes, some courses may be recognized for equivalency if they are accredited by the provincial TESOL organization such as TESL Ontario, ATESL, and other organizations. This is a whole different area. I was referring to private international TESOL schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: