ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICAL online TEFL - is it useful ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShazzaB123

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: ICAL online TEFL - is it useful ?? Reply with quote

I have a BA degree in Cultural Studies from the University of Birmingham in the UK. I am considering taking the ICAL TEFL course online. I live in Ibiza and can find no courses available on the island so online in my only option.

My first query is - will I be able to easily find a job (and where) with only entry level and no teaching experience? My CV shows that I have experience in training and speaking in front of groups but no formal teaching. Due to living in Ibiza I will find it difficult to gain any teaching practice although I can go to the UK and take some voluntary classes to give this.

My second question is - I will be looking for a 6 month contract through the winter months only, how likely is this?

My third question - has anyone taken the ICAL online course and what is the feedback on quality, reputation and employability.

Please help as I do not want to embark on the study if gaining employment is unlikely.
ICAL_Pete

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your third point, there are a bunch of reviews of the ICAL course on a 3rd party review site called TEFL Course Review.

http://tinyurl.com/352xzh3

There are also some comments from current and former students on our forum here: http://tinyurl.com/3a4xjdv.

As for finding work, this depends on where you are and the current situation. I understand that Spain is going through the worst economic crisis in recent history and I've heard reports that schools have closed and teachers are finding it harder to find work. Is that the case in your particular area? Certainly a degree and a TEFL cert like the ICAL TEFL certificate is the usual entry level requirement for jobs teaching English in places like Spain though.
ShazzaB123

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: ICAL online TEFL - is it useful ?? Reply with quote

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the speedy response. The testimonials really look encouraging and if I decide to go ahead, then ICAL will be my choice.

However, could you take another look at my first point as I am concerned that entry level certification may not be enough to attract employers.

I live in Ibiza and thought maybe I could try private tuition. Also I have winters off work so might try to find work abroad, I am thinking South America maybe?? Probably not Europe, and definitely not UK.
Azhar

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have done a TEFL course through i-to-i, and found them to be very good. They offer various courses- ranging from about 20 hours up to 100 hours. I heard that you can only get a job if you have done the 100 hour TEFL course, but I may be wrong?
With the CELTA course, it is the next step up from TEFL, and is much harder (and expensive!), so I would recommend doing the TEFL first to gain more experience, and if you want to, to then do the CELTA course.

hope this helps.
Source(s):
TEFL qualified- still thinking about CELTA!!!
for more about it plz check this :...............
Sample Resume
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I would recommend doing the TEFL first to gain more experience, and if you want to, to then do the CELTA course.

There isn't any need to take an introductory course before the TESL Canada, CELTA, or Trinity CertTESOL. These courses are well designed for experienced and inexperienced teachers alike and it's better to take an advanced course from the very first time.
teflonlinereviews

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check out reviews other than those published on the websites of the providers themselves!
Tina87

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: ICAL online TEFL - is it useful ?? Reply with quote

ShazzaB123 wrote:
I have a BA degree in Cultural Studies from the University of Birmingham in the UK. I am considering taking the ICAL TEFL course online. I live in Ibiza and can find no courses available on the island so online in my only option.

My first query is - will I be able to easily find a job (and where) with only entry level and no teaching experience? My CV shows that I have experience in training and speaking in front of groups but no formal teaching. Due to living in Ibiza I will find it difficult to gain any teaching practice although I can go to the UK and take some voluntary classes to give this.

My second question is - I will be looking for a 6 month contract through the winter months only, how likely is this?

My third question - has anyone taken the ICAL online course and what is the feedback on quality, reputation and employability.

Please help as I do not want to embark on the study if gaining employment is unlikely.

There is a great blog post on tefl lifestyle , which gives you smart ways of finding a job as a tefl teacher. My friend recommended it to me, when i was looking for job. I went with emailing the institutions, i found that is the best way to do it, because then you can filter where you want to live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: