ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pearson-Longman and Richard English Academy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Pearson-Longman and Richard English Academy Reply with quote

I am interested in two schools in particular. I did some research and there is not much about any of them on the internet, so I decided to post a question here: Has anyone worked at Pearson-Longman in Shanghai or Richard English Academy in Shaoxing city ( Zhejiang province ) ?? Any comments will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
unionjack
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: SEARCH Reply with quote

Hello Melody

Welcome to the forum

There's some information here about Pearson-Longman in Shanghai:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/2789421/Pearson-goes-back-to-school-with-China-deal.html

http://www.pearson.com/media-1/pearson-news/?i=117

http://www.teachenglishinasia.net/job/5000-rmb-signing-bonus-longman-schools-shanghai-183222.html

http://raoulschinasaloon.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=3747.0

There is a general lack of information about the Richard English Training Academy and therefore, this would indicate to me that there is something amiss, However, I did find on someone's profile that he was the only foreign teacher working for the Richard English Academy.

http://cn.linkedin.com/pub/kylle-arnold/1b/aa2/2b

RICHARD ENGLISH TRAINING ACADEMY
Address: 267 Renming Road, ZhuJi, ZheJiang province

I hope this is of some help in your search...

UJ

Last edited by unionjack on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
melody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: looks like you have better browsing skills, lol Reply with quote

Thank you, that was quite helpful. If there are people who would like to share with others, their personal experience, based on teaching in those schools, please do that. Smile
markc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SEARCH Reply with quote

unionjack wrote:
There is a general lack of information about the Richard English Training Academy and therefore, this would indicate to me that there is something amiss

Perhaps - or perhaps they are a fairly new & small school.
disgruntled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Pearson Longman schools - Beijing Reply with quote

Steer well clear of this one! They lie to you and deceive you in order to get you to Beijing, then drop you in it when you fail to play their game....

I'll recount what happened to me and you can make up your own mind.

When we accepted the job we were promised - a one off settlement allowance, flights paid on arrival plus other things. We were short on money and told them this one many occasions during the interview process. I even have the above agreed in writing.

On arrival the story was very different. - things "had changed" due to a corporate reshuffle and we were no longer entitled to any of the above. The reality is that your start up costs in Beijing due to having to pay out FIVE MONTHS rent in advance to secure an apartment are in excess of 5000USD. This is a fact which Pearson Longman failed to tell us and other new recruits that arrived around the time we did.

Pearson Longman refused to assist us in a monetary sense and also ejected us from the hotel we were staying at (20 days hotel stay on arrival - we stayed Cool leaving us near enough broke and having to stay in a disgusting hostel until we could get our flight out.

When confronted with the fact that due to them deceiving us we had been left in a very bad position they told us they were unwilling to assist us as we were no longer Pearson Longman employees! Ignoring totally of course the fact that they had put us in the position of being unable to work for them.

Personally, I would give them a very, very wide berth!!!
markc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pearson Longman schools - Beijing Reply with quote

disgruntled wrote:

Personally, I would give them a very, very wide berth!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your story.

How easy is it to find other work - which I assume you did - when you are in Beijing. Were you able to set up a better job (and work visa) while you were there.
disgruntled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: update......... Reply with quote

Just to update you....we found another job in Jinan province with a school called spotlight. They offered us jobs, set us up in an apartment and promised to sort out the z visa......they were unable to do so and we are leaving China today!

New rules.........ALL z visas must be applied for in your home country. The authorities in China will not under ANY circumstances issue invitation letters to process z visas in Hong Kong......be warned!! They all say that they can do it but believe me - they can't!!
Okay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: You really should warn others Reply with quote

I suggest you post your information at CFTU website and write a complaint to get them blacklisted. The address is www.ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.org
Ashley12345

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Richard English International Reply with quote

I recommend everyone to avoid this awful school (I mean Richard English International)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL in China [Only]... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: