ESL Jobs - ESL, EFL, TEFL, TESOL Teaching Jobs
  • FREE Weekly ESL Jobs
  • ESL, EFL, TESL, TEFL -- Get weekly updates of the Hottest New Jobs direct to your inbox as well as easily apply to new openings!
  • Enter your Email:

ESL Jobs Forum
"Where New and Seasoned ESL Professionals Come Together To Network . . . Share. Listen. Learn."

FAQIndex    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masters degree in Education enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
be2lewis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Masters degree in Education enough? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if an MA in Education and a BA in Humanities is enough education to get a teaching job in Korea or China?

I have one year experience teaching special ed and another year teaching adults at a community college.

I am about 2 college courses away from being certified in ESL for K-12 in public schools.. Would it be worth getting that certification?

Thank you very much,
~Brenda
markc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your qualifications are enough to get an English teaching job in most parts of Asia. A few schools will just be interested in teachers with TESOL experience, but many won't mind.

Getting the extra certification may benefit you personally, and it may make a difference in a few jobs, but you could find work now, if you put your mind to it. Remember that many people find work without any qualifications apart from a first degree; or not even that, sometimes.

One of the most important things will be how you come across in an interview and in the demo class that many schools will ask for.
cobra123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: In Korea, you just need a BA and a pulse Reply with quote

I work for a Korean university. The following is from my experienced in Korea.

In Korea, you just need a BA in any subject and a pulse. To be honest, most Korean employer is neither impressed or aware of the importance of any other qualifications (exception: the Universities). If you apply to a private academy (called "hagwon" in Korean), they care even less. They just want a warm native-English-speaking body in the classroom, not for the benefit of the student, but for the parent, who are under the erroneous assumption that being a native speaker alone qualifies a person as an English teacher.

English teachers in Korea make more than other countries in the world, for many reasons. (1) The weather has extremes that are not experienced in more popular teaching areas like Thailand or in Latin America. It is bitterly cold in the winter and extremely hot and humid in the summer.

(2) Korea is not an exciting place. The cities all look the same. Cultural areas are inaccessible for those without a car. Koreans are exclusive and making Korean friends is difficult, so much of your friendships are with other Westerners, which may or may not be a good thing.

(3) High turnover. Korean employers are in a never-ending search to fill openings because people quit all the time. (Recruiting is a big business in Korea.) After spending a year in Korea, about 60-70% of foreign teachers leave. There is not much for them to stay for. Many find living in Korea unappealing. Some see being a teacher in Korea along the lines of being an indentured servant. (Your visa is tied to the employer. You do not own it.)

Korea is seen by teaching professionals (those with the intention of staying the field of teaching and not just using EFL/ESL teaching as a means to an end, but the end in itself) as a dead end. Since many Korean employers are only interested in the superficial, not much real teaching is going on. Most of the teachers are unqualified (no teaching credentials or certificates or experience). They do not have any idea what language teaching, or any other teaching, is. They do not have any idea what methodologies or approaches to use. The students suffer because from this. What is being produced are students without communicative abilities. Korea has some of the lowest TOEFL and IELTS scores in the world. Calls for reducing the number of unqualified teachers by vocal Korean citizens is met with superficial, unrelated regulations by the government. The Korean government refuses to address the real issue: certification and training of foreign teachers. They would rather require teachers to have more drug tests or HIV tests. (I am afraid the Koreans themselves do not know what a qualified teacher is. When I told Korean English teachers about my CELTA, they did not know what it was. They have no clue about the EFL world outside Korea.)

What is the answer for a qualified teacher? A teacher with a Master degree in education should try to get a job with a university. He or she should not waste his or her education on being a hagwon or public school teacher where there is little respect for qualifications. At least at a university requires a master degree and most instances treat you like the expert you are.

If you are interested in a job in Korea, make sure you talk to the employer directly. Do not handle everything through the recruiter. If your prospective employer cannot speak English, avoid that employer. (How can you communicate your concerns?)

I know that there is a lot to digest here, but I hope that newcomers are aware of the situation here in Korea. Knowledge is power.
Markchase07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the Korean universities accept a degree in English as an eligibility. But as a teaching profession might require more knowledge. You can go for higher studies (correspondence) once you start working. In addition to adding this to your resume, you can gain experience also.

Mark Chase
be2lewis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I was doing some ESL tutoring here in the states and I am now back in full swing looking at China and other Asian countries. I have been focused on China partly due to my age. From what I've read on this forum and others it seems it is less of an issue there (although still a factor) than say Korea. Does anyone care to confirm or disagree with that? I'm 48.

Thanks for the advice concerning Korean universities. As far as China goes I am looking mostly at public universities there also. Public high schools might be a go too.

Could someone tell me also if this is ever done? An American company that is stateside hires a teacher and sends them to China on a business visa to teach for them thereby bypassing the need for a Chinese business partner. Would this be legal?

Thanks everyone for your help,
B
amber.amelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the extra certification may benefit you personally, and it may make a difference in a few jobs, but you could find work now, if you put your mind to it. Remember that many people find work without any qualifications apart from a first degree; or not even that, sometimes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESL Jobs Forum Forum Index -> ESL Certification Issues... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: